It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

Keyboard dust protection

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

friedemann

Keyboard dust protection

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 am

Hi everyone,

the latest "addition" to my console is a dust sheet, which is connected magnetically to the console. It works with two small but very strong magnets, which are glued directly behind the nameboard. I had to drill very carefully, because the hole must go very close to the other surface to hold the dust sheet properly. The dust sheet is equipped with a steel rod on the upper end and a lead strap (from curtains) on the other end. It works nicely :D

John_Abson

Re: Keyboard dust protection

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 3:14 pm

The four manual Harrison at Westminster Abbey had something very similar for years, except that instead of magnets there were a pair of cup-hooks. Think you're in good company with your solution!

scottherbert

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Hey, that looks better than my bath towel! :lol:

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

engrssc

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Speaking of dust, I greatly hate :mrgreen: dusty keyboards. I tend to feel every 'kernel' of dust as I play, usually at the ends of a manual/ Very annoying. I was at a concert a while ago, where the organist actually stopped playing and used his (hopefully clean) handkerchief and literally dusted all the keyboards before continuing. After that I didn't feel I was having a dust fetish. :o Wonder what was the after concert conversation subject with the concert sponsor :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Get one of these, comes with a handy console holder. :mrgreen: https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Original ... 3=&veh=sem

Seriously, dirty / dusty keys and an overall cruddy console, keyboards and pedal board is a major annoyance for me as well and anything to help keep things tidy is a welcome idea.

Marc

friedemann

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 am

The problem with towels etc. is, that they don't stay so easy - that's why I added the magnets to solve this problem.

jkinkennon

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm convinced this would be perfect for my latest console. It's four manuals with an adjustable music rack which is fortunate because of the extra height above the keys. The downside is that the music rack (desk) is a bit clumsy to raise and lower which will discourage me from closing the roll top.

I'm blessed with a wonderful mother-in-law who sews daily and would be thrilled to have a part in my hobby, so I will be watching for the right piece of fabric to create a very similar cover.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI