It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am

Drawknobs vs stop tabs vs .......

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

kkbzn

Drawknobs vs stop tabs vs .......

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Organ consoles have different "switches" for changing the registration. Which do you like the most? Which are the most useful? Which are best for a hauptwerk organ? Digital drawknobs, stop tabs, baroque handstops or other devices do you like the most?

engrssc

Re: Drawknobs vs stop tabs vs .......

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

For classical organs - draw knobs. For theatre organs - stop tabs. Quite conventional.

Rgds,
Ed

johnh

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:15 pm

For practice consoles, lots of pistons and a touch screen.

profeluisegarcia

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Drawknobs... more aesthetic; stop tabs...more functional, I think.

dhm

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:31 pm

If you use more than one sample-set (which most Hauptwerk users do) then you immediately have a problem with any kind of physical stop control: how to label the stops for each sample-set.
So touchscreens are much easier because they remove this problem. They are also usually cheaper.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

ludu

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:26 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:Drawknobs... more aesthetic; stop tabs...more functional, I think.

I agree.
Luc

ludu

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:43 am

dhm wrote:If you use more than one sample-set (which most Hauptwerk users do) then you immediately have a problem with any kind of physical stop control: how to label the stops for each sample-set.

Not necessarily. Several console makers propose solutions. For example, this model: http://www.voxorgani.com/en/node/163. Another possibility is illustrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cud-hbbmo. Of course, touch screens are cheaper but do not give the feeling of real command, allowing an accurate action at the right moment.
Luc

IainStinson

PostWed May 03, 2017 3:20 am

Another important issue is where the stop control is located. Is it best if they are it on either side of the player, in front of the player, or around (horseshoe console)?

You can have draw stops, tabs of various forms, buttons etc. located in stop jambs on either side of the player as well as in front of the player.

Touch screens are good (and I use two) but something physical is better. It would be interesting to build a pair of stop jambs (which you could use instead of touch screens) using a physical switch (tab, button), with the Midi Boutique e-stop controller so that you could readily change the stop labels on sample set switch but continue to have the benefits of a physical control. (Any European/UK supplier interested in collaborating?)

Iain

ludu

PostWed May 03, 2017 3:30 am

IainStinson wrote:It would be interesting to build a pair of stop jambs (which you could use instead of touch screens) using a physical switch (tab, button), with the Midi Boutique e-stop controller so that you could readily change the stop labels on sample set switch but continue to have the benefits of a physical control. (Any European/UK supplier interested in collaborating?)

Please let me know if you find a console maker interested in your proposal. Thanks in advance.
Luc

engrssc

PostWed May 03, 2017 3:31 am

Simple and effective. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:26 am

ludu wrote:Not necessarily. Several console makers propose solutions. For example, this model: http://www.voxorgani.com/en/node/163. Another possibility is illustrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cud-hbbmo. Of course, touch screens are cheaper but do not give the feeling of real command, allowing an accurate action at the right moment.

Voxorgani 's "Michael" Model with a stop name cylinder to rotate through 4 different sample sets is very clever!
http://www.voxorgani.com/en/pictures

Thanks for posting the initial link.

Danny B.

NickNelson

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:29 am

I think a lot depends on what you are familiar with and prefer (admittedly not necessarily the same thing).

For any single organ, I prefer a conventional drawstop layout mostly because this is what I'm used to, and as it allows for a reasonably compact layout. Unfortunately, of course, the cost in solenoid drawstops and engraving would be significant for even a small organ and mind-blowingly expensive for a large one.

This is why I have so far gone for illuminated push switches (and have used the very low tech 'blu-tack' approach to changing organs).

It's not exactly pretty, but it sort of works ...

Eventually I'm sure that someone will come up with an affordable system using watch face sized e-paper technology, which would suit me well, but in the meantime I'm thinking I could use a version of Ken Spencer's launchpad overlay method.

I'm imagining A3 sized transparent film, printed overall in a suitable wood-grain effect with ungrained circles bearing the appropriate labels. These would hang on the fronts of the stop jambs.

Nick

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI