It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

Running Hauptwerk on an IoT-type platform?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

wave.jaco

Running Hauptwerk on an IoT-type platform?

PostWed May 17, 2017 7:10 am

I have been pondering over the idea of running Hauptwerk on an IoT-type platform, such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone and Intel Edison. Of course, these platforms have their limitations, especially in RAM and processing power specifications.

I am just thinking of which platforms can be used to actually run Hauptwerk on which would not require the organist to literally boot up a PC/laptop and running Hauptwerk by hand. Rather, I am looking for ways to run Hauptwerk on such a platform where you would just turn on the power to your organ (and thus also the platform Hauptwerk runs on), wait a few seconds or a minute (the idea is not to wait too long for a whole PC to start up), and just start playing.

The free version of Hauptwerk is specifically in question here, since it requires relatively limited resources (compared to the other versions) from its operating platform.

Has anybody attempted this before?

wave.jaco

Re: Running Hauptwerk on an IoT-type platform?

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:13 am

Anyone...?

josq

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:20 am

As things stand now, Hauptwerk is suited for Windows and Mac only. I think there is little incentive for the developers to make Hauptwerk suited for other operating systems, especially if only the free version is going to be used.

Possibly, a more powerful incentive might come one day from some organ building company that wants to solve the computer startup problem.

NickNelson

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:57 am

I agree with josq, it's pretty clear that any platform that could run the free edition would have to support windows or a Mac OS and have at least 2GB of memory. Martin could give a better account I'm sure, but I assume he is on holiday at the moment.

By the way, my fairly ordinary Windows 7 PC, which doesn't run anything else of consequence, takes 43 seconds from applying the mains to St Anne's being loaded and playable with no intervention other than switching on the power.

Shutting down is much quicker of course, but does require two actions; pressing the 'shut down' button (on my console) waiting a second or two and removing the power.

Nick

wave.jaco

PostFri May 19, 2017 6:18 am

Yes, there is indeed the requirement for such a platform to run either Windows or a Mac OS in order to run HW. Then, of course, there is the tight spec of at least 2 GB of RAM, which seems to still be a scarce setup to find, at least for the time being.

Perhaps for the time being,a dedicated PC containing a solid state hard drive, running nothing else but HW, is the best option for now. One could also build an "intelligent" switching circuit that can power up/down all of the hardware with only the pressing of one single switch.

In any way, I consider it a challenge accepted :D

jbittner

PostFri May 19, 2017 10:41 am

There's a Windows 10 IoT version that runs on the Raspberry Pi 2, but I doubt that it has all the pieces needed to run Hauptwerk.

A theatre pipe organ that our ATOS chapter owns has Windows 10 based Uniflex relay. A chapter member devised simple circuit that uses two momentary contact buttons to start and stop the organ. The Start button sends a signal to start the blower and latches power to the Intel NUC PC running the relay software. The Stop button sends a signal to shutdown the blower and sends the keyboard sequence to shutdown Windows gracefully. I think he used a PIC uController to do this, but a Teensy would be ideal.

Rather than shutting the computer down, you could command it to go to sleep or to hibernate which should result in faster start ups.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

organtechnology

PostFri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello,

I have obtained a Windows 10 IoT Platform Overview document and the only IoT version capable of 64 bit is Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise IoT. This platform may require a developer license agreement from Microsoft to be able to develop a version capable of running Hauptwerk. But technically yes it may actually be possible to run Hauptwerk under Windoys 10 IoT, just not on IoT Mobile or IoT Core. Microsoft also appears to be marketing Enterprise as a 'service' i.e. pay per month per user not just one time at the beginning install. They are also touting 10 year product availability and 10 year product support for all IoT product in the document I received. The actual download for a 90 day trial is Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise LTSB but it s not a normal install file.

More in our next exciting episode.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

josq

PostFri May 19, 2017 1:14 pm

wave.jaco wrote:
In any way, I consider it a challenge accepted :D

Hm, curious what you come up with!

johnh

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm

wave.jaco wrote:One could also build an "intelligent" switching circuit that can power up/down all of the hardware with only the pressing of one single switch.

Already been done in various ways by various people and described variously on this very forum!

---john.

mdyde

PostMon May 22, 2017 4:04 am

wave.jaco wrote:I have been pondering over the idea of running Hauptwerk on an IoT-type platform, such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone and Intel Edison. Of course, these platforms have their limitations, especially in RAM and processing power specifications.

I am just thinking of which platforms can be used to actually run Hauptwerk on which would not require the organist to literally boot up a PC/laptop and running Hauptwerk by hand. Rather, I am looking for ways to run Hauptwerk on such a platform where you would just turn on the power to your organ (and thus also the platform Hauptwerk runs on), wait a few seconds or a minute (the idea is not to wait too long for a whole PC to start up), and just start playing.

The free version of Hauptwerk is specifically in question here, since it requires relatively limited resources (compared to the other versions) from its operating platform.

Hello wave.jaco,

My apologies for a delayed reply (I was away last week).

To confirm others' replies, Hauptwerk (any edition) specifically needs to run on one of the operating systems and CPUs covered in our prerequisites:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/requirements/
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf

It definitely won't work on other types of CPU (e.g. ARM or other x86-incompatible mobile/Internet-of-Things CPUs), or natively on other operating systems.

The Basic/Advanced editions don't actually use or require any more resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) than the Free Edition -- they just allow more people to use more RAM and polyphony (CPU) if they wish.

wave.jaco wrote:Perhaps for the time being,a dedicated PC containing a solid state hard drive, running nothing else but HW, is the best option for now. One could also build an "intelligent" switching circuit that can power up/down all of the hardware with only the pressing of one single switch.

Yes -- that would be the approach that I'd recommend if you're looking to make an 'embedded' system.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI