It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

Two keystations 61

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Flashback

Two keystations 61

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi! I just finished fitting two new keystations 61es into my organ console. But now, after launching Hauptwerk, I discover that my Mac only sees 1 of the keyboards. The Mac does detect the older keyboard that was previously already in the console, but cannot seem to discover both of the new ones, only one of them. All keyboards use USB. Can anyone help me with this, please? Thank you very much in advance!

mdyde

Re: Two keystations 61

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 am

Hello Flashback,

Thanks for the continued interest in Hauptwerk.

In case it helps, my general suggestions would be to make sure that each of your keyboards has its dedicated power supply unit attached and powered up, and to to try connecting all of the keyboards to USB ports directly on your Mac, or via a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') USB hub 2.0 hub.

Also note that all of the MIDI keyboards/devices need to be connected and powered up before you launch Hauptwerk, and to remain so whilst you're running it; Hauptwerk doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

evertjan

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 am

The both keystations 61es have, out of the box, the same MIDI-channel number.
With the Advanced Functions button on the keyboard one of the keyboards must be set on another MIDI channel

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 am

I wouldn't think that the midi channel number should matter. Each Keystation should be seen as a separate midi/usb device by the operating system and so by HW. You would need to enable each of the usb/midi devices in HW to use them (not just one of them). I don't believe the midi channel number's being the same would not cause a conflict as they should be separate midi/usb devices (and midi channel numbers only need to be unique within a midi device).

Iain

HeAu

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 am

Dear Flashback!
I am using two 61es with a Windows computer. Both are connected to a powered USB-hub, but they work fine even when the powersupply is not connected.
Did you realise the small switch on the back of the keystation ? As far as I remember it has to be turned on to operate the keystation.
If that does not help I would try to connect the 2nd keystation instead of the first with the first's cable and look what happens.
And don't forget: first to connect the device and then start HW.

Rgds
Heau

evertjan

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 am

Iain and Heau

At the same time Flashback also asks for a solution of his problem on the Dutch Hauptwerk forum. I have advised him to change the channel number (as I know that normally HW can handle the same kind of keyboards). This has solved his problem.

Later I asked him on the forum how the Keystations are connected to his Mac.
He uses an USB hub on which the manuals, his pedal and stops are connected.
It works fine, he says.

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm pleased he is up and running. I would be surprised if "only" changing the midi channel number was the reasons for his device working.

I would be interested in Martin or Brett's comment on using the same channel number for two devices connected via different midi/usb devices - my understanding of this may be incorrect. I suppose it might be that the diver software for the Keystation effectively merges the two devices on to one logical controller.

Iain

mdyde

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello Iain/Evert-Jan,

Iain is correct that there's no problem with any two devices using the same MIDI channel, provided that they're connected via different physical MIDI IN ports (if using physical MIDI cables), or that they're separate USB-MIDI devices (as would be the case with the Keystations). Hauptwerk stores MIDI settings according to the device (USB-MIDI device or physical MIDI IN port) and the MIDI channel as a pair. Hence there must have been some relevant factor apart from the MIDI channel in getting Flashback's set-up to work.
Best regards, Martin.

HeAu

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 11:20 pm

As evertjan stated the 61es always starts with Midi channel 1 after powerup. In my setup this isn't a problem as Win sees two different devices. So I leave the channels unchanged. Maybe the hub Flashback is using merges the output of the two 61es together (in other words: is hiding that 2 devices are connected) or the behavior of a Mac is different.
Rgds
Heau

mdyde

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 am

Hello HeAu,

Even if two USB-MIDI devices are connected via a USB hub they will still appear as two separate devices to the computer (and thus Hauptwerk), on Macs as well as PCs. Hence there still shouldn't be a need to use separate MIDI channels if they're connected via USB (although it doesn't hurt).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI