Search:
Submit Search

Dynamic Stop Labels - solved!

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...

Dynamic Stop Labels - solved!

Postby MikeDC » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:02 am

It would appear that Viscount has solved the problem of dynamic stop labels that change when a new sample set is loaded. Apparently they are OLED and they are being introduced on Viscount's new "made for Hauptwerk" console.

So...who knows where we can get the technology they're using for the stop labels?

You can see a little of what they look like here:

http://www.viscountinstruments.it/organi-classici/hymmersive.html
MikeDC

Re: Dynamic Stop Labels - solved!

Postby NickNelson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:38 am

Try searching 1.3" white oled on ebay - you'll find plenty I expect - tricky little devils to drive in my experience though.

Nick
NickNelson

Postby Grant_Youngman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 am

Midi Boutique offers what looks like a nice product based on electronic paper technology — in addition to the display it includes the MIDI controller, SAM/lamp drivers, and other necessary bits on the little display board. So it solves several problems at once if you're building a console.

http://midiboutique.com/MIDI-processors/estop
Grant
Grant_Youngman

Postby johnstump_organist » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:31 pm

While there are dynamic labeling options now, there are still some problems I see.
1) stop knobs/tabs are spread out fairly far apart to accommodate the displays
2) if you order your stop controls by division do you include enough stop controls to accommodataccommodate variations among sample sets? I.e. some sets might have 12 Great stops and 15 swell stops, others would be reverse.

If you had 4 manuals a pedals and put 20 stop controls for each to accommodate large sets, you would have 100 stops + possible couplers. Still your console might be able to conviently lay out all sample sets in a systematic/logical way.
I think touch screens will remain as the best solution for a while, unless you build a console to a specific sample set - then no need for dynamic labels.
My 2 pesos worth of thought,
John
johnstump_organist

Postby engrssc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Not dynamic, but very cost effective. You do need the "right" console build, tho.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby MikeDC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:Midi Boutique offers what looks like a nice product based on electronic paper technology — in addition to the display it includes the MIDI controller, SAM/lamp drivers, and other necessary bits on the little display board. So it solves several problems at once if you're building a console.

I love Midiboutique's products, but I think Jordan's displays are still too big and will lead the problem John is speaking of in his post, i.e., spacing of displays and switches. Whereas, Viscount's solution looks very compact (which also means small print, I know), but I think the spacing problem becomes less of an issue.

Mike
MikeDC

Postby organtechnology » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:09 pm

MikeDC wrote:
Grant_Youngman wrote:Midi Boutique offers what looks like a nice product based on electronic paper technology — in addition to the display it includes the MIDI controller, SAM/lamp drivers, and other necessary bits on the little display board. So it solves several problems at once if you're building a console.

I love Midiboutique's products, but I think Jordan's displays are still too big and will lead the problem John is speaking of in his post, i.e., spacing of displays and switches. Whereas, Viscount's solution looks very compact (which also means small print, I know), but I think the spacing problem becomes less of an issue.

Mike

Yes but Jordan's eStop is available now and I think if we could talk him into letting us turn the printing 90 degrees so that it sat long side vertical and built a switch into the mount so that a touch of the module provided the switch action it could be very compact and effective. Those OLEDs are TINY and not available to DIYers yet. Pluss the switch is external and doubles the area required.

Thomas
Complete VPO systems powered by Hauptwerk™. Real Wood Consoles, PC or MAC Computer Sound Modules, Audio for Home or Church.
info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Authorized Hauptwerk Dealer; Milan Digital Audio Dealer..
organtechnology

Postby engrssc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Trying to picture how (or if) OLED's could be used with draw knobs. Tabs, yes.

I see many Arduino based OLED displays, but they are relatively too large.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby johnh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Round OLED displays are becoming available for the 'digital watch' industry. These would be a perfect solution for labelling drawknobs...
johnh

Postby engrssc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

johnh wrote:Round OLED displays are becoming available for the 'digital watch' industry. These would be a perfect solution for labeling drawknobs...

Saw a piece on that. Wonder how the many needed wires would survive a moving SAM's drawknob?

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby johnh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Electronics are getting cheap. A display and processor in each drawknob could be connected with just two wires, power and ground. A WiFi network could allow the drawknobs to communicate with the controller. Or just add one more wire for comm.
johnh

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI