It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

Single keyboard for office use

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

organmonster

Single keyboard for office use

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I am searching for a single keyboard that I can keep at my office for Hauptwerk. I am open to anything at any price. I wish to have it semi portable so I can place it on my desk when I am not programming. I have been an organist for over 50 years and have a 3 manual at home and I also play piano. Should I buy a single keyboard from Classic Midi Works or is there any other options. I am not sure if Midi Works keyboards can be made to do this function.
Last edited by organmonster on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Single keyboard for office use

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 1:49 pm

organmonster wrote:I am not sure if Midi Works keyboards can be made to do this function.

Hello organmonster,

Classic MIDI Works' keyboards can certainly be used individually.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organmonster

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Wonder if I would be stuck with a portable stage piano instead of an organ keyboard then.

magnaton

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Any MIDI keyboard controller will work for your needs. The keyword is "controller" meaning there isn't any on-board sounds. Many of these connect by USB to your computer which acts at the interface and provides power.

A model discussed here from time to time is the Behringer UMX610 as the keys are more organ like verses a fake piano feel others try to emulate.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMX610

Other choices are the M-Audio Keystation, Nektar Impact LX61, and Alesis V61. These are also available in 49 note variants is space is a concern. They all have preset buttons that can be mapped to HW pistons or stops.

I would recommend that you try playing these or others and determine which keyboard action feels best for you. They are all different and probably not as nice as your current keyboards from Midiworks but then they are lighter, more portable with a lesser price.

Danny B.

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 6:30 pm

Being you a long dated organist, I think you´d look for a tracker touch action.
For more information you might visit:

http://fatar.com/Pages/TP_8L.htm
http://fatar.com/Pages/TP_60LW.htm
http://www.fabiomancini.altervista.org/ ... raENG.html

Regards,
Luis

engrssc

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 7:00 pm

magnaton wrote:A model discussed here from time to time is the Behringer UMX610 as the keys are more organ like verses a fake piano feel others try to emulate.

I see Sweetwater lists the OS Requirements - PC Windows XP, Vista
for the Behringer UMX610

Is that up to date?

Rgds,
Ed

organmonster

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 7:44 pm

In thinking about this a little more I think I am going to see if I can stack 2 keyboards together instead of one. It is pretty dumb only having one keyboard. I talked to a company called Phoenix Organs that may be able to do this. On Monday I will talk to Classic Midi and see what they say. It would be nice to have a 2 manual for just knocking around the office.

magnaton

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 pm

engrssc wrote:
magnaton wrote:A model discussed here from time to time is the Behringer UMX610 as the keys are more organ like verses a fake piano feel others try to emulate.

I see Sweetwater lists the OS Requirements - PC Windows XP, Vista
for the Behringer UMX610

Is that up to date?

I'm pretty sure that is in reference for the bundled software that comes with it. I own one of these units and never bother to load the software. I'm pretty sure Apple would recognize it as an USB input device as Windows did. No drivers to load.

BTW, I was able to try 3 of the 4 controllers that I mentioned in my previous post side by side and the Behringer was the clear winner for having the closest organ like touch and feel.

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

scottherbert

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 am

Hi organmonster, you didn't mention what kind of keyboards your home organ has. It may be best to match their action.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

organmonster

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Well, my home was burnt down in a forest fire in Colorado a few years ago. We are going to rebuild a new home eventually but not this year. I recently purchased a Rodgers 360 theater organ with 3 manuals and a Yamaha CVP-509 digital piano. But these are at a friends house and it is not convenient to go there when I want to practice.

That leaves me with a puzzle of what to practice on in the meantime. I have a small space at the office and can place either a stage piano or a set of midi manuals and connect them to the Hauptwerk computer I had just built. Since I am not sure the 2 manual stack can be built to be portable I am leaving this as an open option.I am up for any suggestions.

scottherbert

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Since you're into theater organs, my guess is that you don't need the tracker touch of the Classic Organ Works keyboards. So save some money and try out those Behringer UMX 610s, they might be exactly what you want!

Sorry about your house, These fires have been crazy! The Royal Gorge fire a couple of years ago almost got us too. We had our livestock loaded in a trailer and ready to go. If memory serves, that may have been the same year?

~S

organmonster

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 3:03 pm

I have played classical organ for 50 years and was trained in classical. But the Rodgers 360 was available at the time and I jumped on it. In my very old past I learned and played on the real Wurlitzer theater organs in New York city when I was young. So that was my start into any organ. I like both theater and classical but I tend to lean towards Bach.

scottherbert

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm

O.K., I guess I started a little before you, but I never got into theater organs. Just never cared much for 'popular' music I guess. I always liked that "snap" that the pseudo tracker touch had. I find that it cleans up my playing considerably. The only true tracker that I ever had a chance to play was so long ago I can't remember how it felt! It was at a workshop with E. Power Biggs at CSU in Fort Collins on their Casavant.

~S

organmonster

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I am now trying to decide which brand of keyboard to buy, either Fatar TP-60LF / LW or the Classic Midi Works keyboards. I have modified my requirements and will get either a 2 or a 3 manual stack.
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI