It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

Monitor mount

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Mister_Mirabilis

Monitor mount

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 am

Does anyone have recommendations for single monitor mounts (two needed) which meets the following requirements?

•attaches solidly on a horizontal surface;
•accommodate 22 inch (Viewsonic TD 2220) touchscreen monitors with standard VESA attachment;
•easily adjustable ("turn and click" in 90 degree increments) to adjust from portrait (e.g., Hereford) to landscape (e.g., typical French stopjamb) orientation;
•needs to be sturdy and not susceptible to wiggling;
•good quality without breaking the bank: I'd like to not exceed $100 CDN each.

Looking forward to your suggestions, with thanks.

magnaton

Re: Monitor mount

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 9:36 pm

I too have this exact touch screen monitor. I bought this Vivo mount a few months earlier and affixed a LaunchPad that's first mounted on wooden board. For this purpose the stand is well made, with the perfect arm length, and no wiggle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJFY3AA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I purchased a second one for my Viewsonic. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of wiggle when tapping the screen towards the edges. This has more to do with the Viewsonic's light weight plastic case than the stand. I re-engineered the design based on my Launchpad install. I attached a 3/4" wooden board cut to size (painted to match the back panel) and attached it using screws where VESA mount would normally go and also used Scott brand heavy duty, double stick tape for the other areas where the board touches the back panel. The idea here was to create a sturdier back panel. Then attached the VESA mount to the board with wood screws using its 2nd, outer set of screw holes. This feat work by reducing the wiggle about 30 percent. I'm guessing the next wiggle reduction would be to a attach single pole, double VESA mount to the Viewsonic using my wooden back panel:
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Mount-Adjustable-Screens/dp/B009S750LA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504404893&sr=1-1

However I'm fairly content with my current setup using the LaunchPad and real organ pistons on my keyboard assembly for most of my registration changes.

Danny B.

IainStinson

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 8:00 am

You might find it worthwhile looking at https://www.ergomounts.co.uk/products/desk/monitor/. I bought my mounts from them a few years ago and they have been excellent. I don't swivel them around though they can.

Iain

scottherbert

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 4:00 pm

For my launchpad I face the same dilemma. I don't want any movement! I finally decided to go to the hardware store and get black iron pipe. The kind used for gas and water lines. It comes in 3/4" and 1" sizes and has a number of connectors and angles, including bases so you can attach it to a flat surface. I plan to screw it to my table, add a piece the appropriate height, 45 degree angle, another piece out to where I can reach the board, and another screw base to attach the launchpad. Should be rock-solid. I suppose you could do the same sort of thing, only leave the last fitting looser so that the screen could be rotated? :wink: :roll:

Just a thunk from a do-it-yourselfer.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI