It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Need help with SAMs

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: Need help with SAMs

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 6:01 pm

adrianw wrote:I am afraid I still think you most likely have 24V devices, not 12V. (And likely not 48V either - the resistor values are wrong for that).

The resistor in question is green, blue, brown, just installed the opposite direction of the 2.2k resistor. It's the usual 560 ohm resistor that's on all the Allen SAMs. So there's every indication, as I mentioned earlier, that the SAM in the photo came from an Allen organ and is for 48V operation.

jkinkennon

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm

In addition to the previous post I might add that Artisan modifies the Allen SAMs and then operates them at just 27V, apparently successfully and presumably with a slightly longer pulse. So that's an option though I would prefer to see them operated at the intended voltage.

The Artisan approach requires a couple of jumpers added to every SAM so that's a lot of extra work as well.

organtechnology

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 pm

jkinkennon wrote:In addition to the previous post I might add that Artisan modifies the Allen SAMs and then operates them at just 27V, apparently successfully and presumably with a slightly longer pulse. So that's an option though I would prefer to see them operated at the intended voltage.

The Artisan approach requires a couple of jumpers added to every SAM so that's a lot of extra work as well.

Is that what the 27V Allen power supplies were used for? I think the one I have came from an MOS-1 organ.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 pm

organtechnology wrote:Is that what the 27V Allen power supplies were used for? I think the one I have came from an MOS-1 organ.

No, the Allen capture power supply went through at least three versions that I have seen. They would show a nominal 44V for the drawknob organs and 30V for tabs. However, I've had my hands on two drawknob consoles that actually ran closer to 50V and two tab-style organs that were over 45V. It's possible that the lower voltage was used on smaller organs?? --don't know, but the ones I had with two full rows of tabs didn't use 30V or anything close. Maybe their measurements were based on a 115VAC input where 120VAC is more normal in a residence.

I haven't had one of these power supplies fail yet though I did need to repair the first one I had which is why I had to dig into the circuitry more than I wanted. The 27V is from the main power supply that's usually on the right as you look at the back of the console. I think that was a nominal 24V for relays and such, but I'm just guessing as I never kept any of the Allen internals other than the capture supply. I don't have a spare at the moment and I imagine they are hard to come by across the pond.

Andrew_Melbourne

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Some further testing...
My third photo shows the spade connectors: two connectors for the four brown common leads (which are now all connected to V- on my power supply), and then the four connectors for the positive leads: blue, green, red and white. Touching the V+ lead from my power supply to each of the latter connectors in turn activates four groups of SAMS and makes them move to the down position. The largest group is those on the green circuit, which has 17 SAMs that work perfectly (and another two that just flicker). The other groups have about 10-13 SAMs each, and they work fine. So does being able to flip 17 of them instantly down imply that the 12V supply is sufficient/appropriate?

Of course, it's now not clear to me how to make them flip back to the up position.

thanks
Andrew

adrianw

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 3:26 am

Yes. They may need a long pulse (which you can find by experiment and program on the MDECO) but at least you know they will work on 12V. As for how to wire them up, IMHO you should ignore the electronics and as per my first post wire directly to the coils.

- Adrian.

adrianw

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 am

Of course, it's now not clear to me how to make them flip back to the up position.

Connect the green up/down wire(s) on my previous drawing through a resistor (essential to avoid damaging the transistor, but anything 1K-10K will be fine) to 12V and repeat the experiment.

- Adrian.
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI