It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Keyboard Issue -- 3 keys higher than the rest

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

TomBentley

Keyboard Issue -- 3 keys higher than the rest

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 am

Good morning,

I am attempting to repair the keyboards on my console Three of the keys are missing the little rubber thing that keeps the key from slamming up higher than the other keys. Its a small, black rubber thing (about 1/2 inch in length) that slips around an arm under the key and stops it from coming up higher than the rest of the keys when released. I don't know what they are called or where to source them. I hoped I could simply remove they offending key as even if i can get my hands on the little rubber stopper, getting it inserted would be a delicate task, but after a couple of hours of trying to remove they key i am stumped. The keyboards are not new nor are they particularly glamorous. YouTube videos show how to remove a single key from a midi controller keyboard by just snapping them in and out but these are not of that style -- I can't seem to remove the key cover or anything.

Probably with a set of tweezers I might be able to replace the rubber thing if I knew what they were called and where they might be sourced.

Any thoughts about how I might proceed?

Thanks,

Tom

NickNelson

Re: Keyboard Issue -- 3 keys higher than the rest

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Tom,

In my experience just about anything is possible given enough ingenuity.
In this case, a picture would help a lot. When you say "1/2 inch long" and "slips around"
the thing that comes to mind would be rubber tubing - easy to source in a variety of sizes
but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Nick

ArnoldOrgans

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Tom,

We sell the replacement rubber bushings for Fatar keyboards. Do you have the standard TP/60LF? Do you know what happened to the old bushings?
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

JimE

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 am

Hi Tom,

Pratt & Read keyboards were used in a lot of synths and organs years ago. Check to see if you have the same type of keyboard. Do a search for "Pratt Read keyboard bushings" and many tutorials and sites that sell the bushings will come up. A quick search that I did revealed https://www.vintagevibe.com/products/synthesizer-key-bushings selling whole sets or http://syntaur.com/Items.asp?Item=4169 selling individually. Also a search on eBay had a few sellers.

I have old Pratt & Read keyboards in my organ that are 35 years old. The rubber bushings in them were as hard as rock. All of the keys made a loud clicking as they were played. A few years ago I replaced them all with new bushing. Many of them would crumble as I removed them. I ordered the lubricated bushing and replaced them all. Once replaced the keyboards were silky smooth, quiet and played like brand new.

Good luck,
Jim E

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI