It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

Budget MIDI keyboard as 3rd manual with tracker keyboards?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

scottherbert

Budget MIDI keyboard as 3rd manual with tracker keyboards?

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Just curious, I would like to add a third manual, but can't afford a proper one. Would any kind work? I find Casio and Yamaha keyboards rather inexpensive on Craigslist. Also Yamaha and Lowery organs, some for free. I just don't know how much it would take to mate them with my CMK-2 keyboards and get them to work, and would it be worth the effort?

Any thought?

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

RickC

Re: Just curious, would any kind work?

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Check - accurately - the size!
I had 2 M-audio keyboards, and wanted to add a third; the Behringer UMX looked better (and, although it's very subjective, I think it is a little better), and ordered one. I was not at all prepared to find that it was almost 1/4 inch longer than the M-audio. (So now there are 3 UMX's!)
I envy you the 2 CMKs that you have - on my wish list!. But I'd be concerned that the difference in touch between them and the less expensive variety would drive me nuts. But just having a 3rd manual, if you're willing to deal with the mis-match, is good too. Just be aware that you are compromising, and only you can evaluate its worth to you.
Rick

engrssc

Re: Just curious, would any kind work?

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Any keyboard with some form of contacts (with the proper MIDI encoder) can be made to play Hauptwerk. If touch is important, the above mentioned (plastic) keyboards will "feel" different to the touch of the CMKs. I recently played such a mixed manual instrument. Looked okay but when I went from the higher quality manuals to the cheapie, my mind did an quick oops factor each time.. Esp when switching quickly between manuals . Very noticeable.

There are some differences between the physical size of the keys on some keyboards. Not all meet AGO specs.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Budget MIDI keyboard as 3rd manual with tracker keyboard

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 4:24 am

[I've edited the forum topic title to reflect the contents of the topic a bit more meaningfully.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

scottherbert

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks Martin, and thank you Rick and Ed for your input. I rather thought that would be the case. I really want another CMK, but I just don't have the budget. So unless Santa Claus reads this ( :D ) I will be happy with 2. Just don't tell me there isn't a Santa Claus! :lol:

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I used to enjoy CMK (I)+ Yamaha NP11 (II)
Luis

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI