It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

Dual purpose expression pedal

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Dual purpose expression pedal

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm assuming in advance that what I'm asking about may not be possible??

Console has 3 expr peds, Choir, Swell, and Crescendo. Planning to add a Solo manual which can be under expression. The cresc pedal is used on occasion. Idea is to be able to switch the function of the 3rd (cresc) pedal between being (as it now is) a crescendo pedal, to being a expression pedal for the new Solo manual. The pedal would remain physically connected. Any chance that could be done? In the ODF?

A fourth expression pedal would be nice, but there is no room for such.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

Re: Dual purpose expression pedal

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

A few samplesets seem to have support for switching expression pedals on the fly, but I don't have any that switch between cresc and expression, nor have I found a Hauptwerk way to do that unless maybe you could transfer expression pedals along with floating divisions (too tricky for me to use).

I just use my left swell pedal for both Choir and Solo expression and hope I don't need them separated. Crude but no fiddling.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 am

Hello Ed,

It's technically possible for a sample set producer to implement that behaviour within a sample set's ('full format') organ definition (but not within the Custom Organ Design Module, and we don't provide support for editing full-format organ definitions, since it can be very involved). There's no way within Hauptwerk currently that a user can configure that behaviour if the sample set doesn't support it.

Within hardware, you could perhaps implement a physical switch that controlled which of two MIDI controller numbers the pedal sent (e.g. perhaps simply by switching which pin of a MIDI encoder it was connected to), with one of the MIDI controller numbers auto-detected to the virtual crescendo in Hauptwerk, and the other to the relevant virtual expression pedal.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 am

mdyde wrote:Within hardware, you could perhaps implement a physical switch that controlled which of two MIDI controller numbers the pedal sent (e.g. perhaps simply by switching which pin of a MIDI encoder it was connected to), with one of the MIDI controller numbers auto-detected to the virtual crescendo in Hauptwerk, and the other to the relevant virtual expression pedal.

A physical switch is no problem. What I was concerned about is how Hauptwerk would accept a short disconnect of the pedal (potentiometer).. Thanks, Martin, again you've simplified my life.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 am

Thanks, Ed.

You're very welcome.

engrssc wrote:What I was concerned about is how Hauptwerk would accept a short disconnect of the pedal (potentiometer)

Hauptwerk itself wouldn't know, or mind, if it stopped receive MIDI control changes messages from any given expression pedal for a while. It would be no different to the user having left the pedal in a constant position.

I can't advise on whether your MIDI encoder would have any issues with a potentiometer being disconnected temporarily from one of its input pins. You might conceivably need to switch in some fixed resistors to substitute, for example. Check with its maker if in doubt.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Ed,

I suppose that since the MIDI encoder is a voltage to MIDI expression device, that theoretically you could switch the pedal pot's voltage between two expression pedal inputs on the encoder board. That would effectively change the MIDI control code sent which Hauptwerk can be taught to use as desired. Hmm?
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

josq

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Would it be acceptable for you to have a "fixed" crescendo pedal and one or two expression pedals that can be assigned to different divisions on the fly? In that case floating division expression can be used.

engrssc

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

josq wrote:Would it be acceptable for you to have a "fixed" crescendo pedal and one or two expression pedals that can be assigned to different divisions on the fly? In that case floating division expression can be used.

Thought of that, but the ability to control all 4 divisions (separately) but simultaneously is what is requested. For this particular situation, the Crescendo is not needed.

Assignments would be Great plus Choir on the left expr ped, Swell on the middle ped, and this 4th manual with assigned solo stops on the 3rd. The composition is quite fast, not much time to assign divisions on the fly. Plus there could be a confusion factor. "Who's"on first, "what's" on second :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI