It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 am

Pistons on a Rodgers 568

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

EricMcK

Pistons on a Rodgers 568

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 am

Hi, me again - I have an organ student who bought a new Rodgers 568 a few years ago as a home practice instrument. I have introduced her to Hauptwerk, and she's been playing with the St Anne organ using her laptop and some pretty good Bose speakers.

The issue is with the Rodgers pistons. She can't map them to Hauptwerk pistons. It seems they might need to be disabled first so the Rodgers organ can't commandeer them, but we're not sure how to go about this. Has anyone run into this before?

engrssc

Re: Pistons on a Rodgers 568

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 am

Assuming a MIDI encoder is connected to the MIDI output port of the Rodgers.

The easiest way is to remap the pistons to not control the Rodgers combination action by resetting each piston you want to use strictly for Hauptwerk to "a zero state" - (no Rodgers stops being turned on by that piston). Do this by turning all Rodgers stops to off, pushing the Set button and then "assigning" that (no Rodgers stops activated condition) to a piston. So when that piston is pushed, it will not turn any Rodgers stops on. In other words, that piston should output MIDI no matter if Rodgers stops are being controlled or not. You can then use that piston to control only Hauptwerk stops.

Continue doing that procedure to as many pistons as you want to disable (from controlling Rodgers stops). You may want to leave some pistons still controlling Rodgers stops. You can also assign some pistons to control both Rodgers stops as well as Hauptwerk stops.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Pistons on a Rodgers 568

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 am

Hello Eric,

The 'Playing Hauptwerk live from a digital organ' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 179-180 in the current v4.2.1 version) has some general, but important, information on using digital organs' pistons or stops with Hauptwerk (regarding interaction of combination systems, etc.).

For a digital organ's pistons to be usable directly with Hauptwerk you need them each to transmit a unique and unchanging MIDI message. For that to be the case on Rodgers organs my understanding is that you need to go into the MIDI/system section in the Rodgers organ's built-in menu, and set its MIDI output mode to 'pistons' (instead of 'stops'). (I can't remember the exact menu section/setting name.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI