It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

Casavant Consoles

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

mkc1

Casavant Consoles

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 am

Perhaps not really Hauptwerk related, though maybe a caveat emptor for anyone considering an old Casavant console for use with Hauptwerk.

I've played a couple of 1920s-30s era 3-manual Casavant consoles locally and found them to be terribly uncomfortable. I'm 6'1" and if I raise the bench enough to play the pedals semi-comfortably, my knees are in the bottom of the choir manual, particularly if I try to use the expression pedals (which are also offset from the AGO standard.) I measured one last night and, while the AGO specs say there should be 29.5 inches between the playing surface of the lower manual and the pedal, the Casavant has only 28" there. No wonder there's not room for my lower leg in between them. I can partially compensate by not wearing shoes and sitting further away but, as you can imagine, that's not terribly comfortable.

Anyway, just a bit of a rant, and something people might want to be aware of. If you're planning to buy an old console and refit it, do make certain it's comfortable for you!

Happy Holidays!
Michael

sonar11

Re: Casavant Consoles

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Yes, the joys or playing non AGO spec-ed organs! :) On a trip to Europe, I had a chance to play some mechanical organs in churches, and, well, let's just say I prefer a true AGO any day of the week. The sound... was exquisite though, truly incomparable to any of the local churches I've played here. Made it worth the uncomfortable and nonstandard consoles.

georgefung

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 am

I've got the same problem...

I play on a 1920's 3-manual Casavant at my church position. I'm 5'10", and I had to raise the organ bench by 3/4" to place the pedalboard at a comfortable height, but then the choir (lowest) manual is uncomfortably low for my hands. It's clearly not set to AGO specifications.
I also have a 3-manual HW setup at home that is far more comfortable, and is more similar to the other (newer) Casavant consoles that are to AGO specifications.

josq

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm

sonar11 wrote:Yes, the joys or playing non AGO spec-ed organs! :) On a trip to Europe, I had a chance to play some mechanical organs in churches, and, well, let's just say I prefer a true AGO any day of the week. The sound... was exquisite though, truly incomparable to any of the local churches I've played here. Made it worth the uncomfortable and nonstandard consoles.

I guess many European organists do not care too much about console specs and standards for exactly those reasons ;)

mkc1

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 pm

georgefung wrote:I've got the same problem...

I play on a 1920's 3-manual Casavant at my church position. I'm 5'10", and I had to raise the organ bench by 3/4" to place the pedalboard at a comfortable height, but then the choir (lowest) manual is uncomfortably low for my hands. It's clearly not set to AGO specifications.
I also have a 3-manual HW setup at home that is far more comfortable, and is more similar to the other (newer) Casavant consoles that are to AGO specifications.

I guess Canadian organists in the 1920s must've been shorter!

notdefined

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Schoenstein consoles are somewhat special. The bench is adjustable as one might expect, but the pedalboard is also height adjustable which prevents resting the lowest manual on your thighs.

engrssc

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Schoenstein consoles and organs as well are special, works of art IMHO.

Rgds,
Ed

telemanr

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I too play on a 1923 Casavant. I put spacers under the bench but it’s not ideal since I’m not the only person who plays it. Also, the Swell, Choir pedals are not positioned horizontally to current specs. It’s noticeable when I’ve practised at home on my HW Classic console.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Used to think burgers and brats were the ultimate till I tasted prime rib and filet

(Not saying I don't like b & b occasionally.) :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI