It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am

HOW TO ALTER SLIPPERY KEYS

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

adri

HOW TO ALTER SLIPPERY KEYS

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 3:47 am

hello fellow DIY-ers,

a friend of mine midified an old Rodgers analogue electronic organ, and it works great, except that I find the keys too slippery, so I wonder if there is any chemical or paint? that can make them feel more like ivory?

thanks for tips in advance!

jkinkennon

Re: HOW TO ALTER SLIPPERY KEYS

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I am wondering how the keys would react to a very fine sandpaper, maybe 400-grit, rubbed in the lengthwise direction to rough up the surface. Has anyone tried a similar approach? I have extra Rodgers manuals in the garage and may experiment on one of them. I'm trying to recall how difficult it is to disassemble the keys or to at least remove the sharps.

adri

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Perhaps steel wool or Ajax powder polishing ??

I could experiment on the highest or lowest key of the 4th manual.

THose shiny plastic keys don’t have a real organ key feel.

I have a kawai Vpc_1 and it has ivory keys feel. Much better.

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

There's a product here in Australia called "Brasso". As its name implies, it's a brass polish. Although it's a liquid it is actually a very mild abrasive. I have used it many times in the past to clean the celluloid keys of reed organs. Although I've never used it on plastic keys, I imagine that it's effect could be similar - namely, the removal of all dirt plus a very mild scouring of the key surface. Rub it on with a cloth - or for stubborn grime apply it with fine steel wool - then polish it off when dry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

Andrew

1961TC4ME

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm wondering if perhaps something greasy got on the keys to make them slippery, such as a furniture polish or something like that? Before you go to sanding on them or applying anything else which could be quite messy to clean up and may get in-between the keys, I'd try wiping down a few keys with mineral spirits on a soft cloth first, let it dry (takes a few minutes) and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then you'll know for sure the actual surface of the keys is the culprit and not the result of something on them.

Marc

engrssc

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Seems a little strange. I've played many Rodgers instruments, have one at home as well. Never had an issue. The only Rodgers issue I had was in a church with a Rodgers 3M. Some "nice" cleaning person put a heavy coat of furniture polish on the bench. Need I say more? :shock: They even were "nice enough" to put that polish on the pedals. :o

I have on occasion used a light coating of Windex to clean the keys. Again in a church where some youngster with sticky stuff on hands played with the keys.

I have played a piano in a nursing home or two with dried on food stuff on the keys. That along with a very out of tune piano made for quite a musical event. Since that experience, I have carried a small spray on bottle of Windex and a rag in my briefcase. Maybe I am too sensitive, but I even feel dust on the keys that haven't been played for a while. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Yep, the Windex idea works good for cleaning up gunky keys as well giving them a nice clean feel.

Marc

georgefung

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 pm

I would caution you on using sandpaper, especially starting with 400 grit sandpaper.

400 grit sandpaper is likely too coarse, especially if you're trying to eliminate the smooth sheen on polished plastic. I think you'll quickly regret trying 400 grit sandpaper in the beginning. (I hope I'm not replying too late.) You might end up with keys that just look all scratched.

Since you're starting off with a polished plastic, and want to dull the sheen to make it less slippery, I would start with a 1200 grit, test it out, then try the 600 grit if you're not completely satisfied with the result with the 1200 alone.

You should be able to find 600 grit at a local hardware store (I have Home Depot and Canadian Tire in Canada). 1200 grit is not available at regular hardware stores. It's hardly used by your average Do-It-Youself'er and is only used for specialized jobs such as polishing to achieve mirror finishes.

Your best bet is to get your hands on 1200 and 600 grit sandpapers (you probably only need 1 or 2 sheets), try sanding another object that is made of a similar hard plastic like the keys on your Rodgers organ (plastic toy, enclosure of discarded computer monitor, printer, etc.), and then decide which sandpaper is the best to start with. If you have another object to experiment with sanding, maybe you can get away with trying the 600 grit that is more readily available.

Just be careful... the keys are probably made of a thin plastic, so you can only afford to remove a tiny layer of plastic with the sandpaper. Going too far will be a costly mistake.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Be sure to report back on how it turns out so that we can all benefit.

Good luck.

profeluisegarcia

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 11:07 am

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI