It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

Noisy Pedals....

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Noisy Pedals....

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 pm

All...

I've noticed that when I'm playing a "bouncy" piece like a Blackpool sound and using the pedals in a
C-G-C-G rhythm ... that when a few of my pedals are release, they make a "clicking" sound when they go back to the up position. It seems to be the low G pedal that is the worst (and really only) culprit.

I got down to take a look trying to see if there might be some felt that was supposed to be down there, but could not see any on any other pedals.

Has anyone else had this occurrence... and if so may I ask what your solution was? Perhaps I do indeed need to just get some felt and glue it on somewhere....?

Thanks for the assistance.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

1961TC4ME

Re: Noisy Pedals....

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi Pat,

I don't know how old your pedal board is, I'm using a 50+ year old Allen that I looked over closely for wear (felt included) when I added MIDI. I found all the felt to be present and in good shape. But yes, I do have a few keys that do produce their fare share of clicks and clunks as you mention depending on what I'm playing. The lower octave especially does get a lot of use, low G being one of them, and I attribute the noise to how the keys get worn in and return because some constantly get hit by your foot at an angle while others are hit more squarely. The noise you hear may actually be coming from the back of the keys where the key attaches to the spring and as the key gets hit from an angle, returns and realigns itself produces the click you hear.

What to do about it? I've largely ignored the noise so far and attributed it to normal wear and tear. To me the only way to 100% find, isolate and remedy the noise would be to get the pedal board on a work bench and see if you can duplicate the clicks, then by trial and error see if there's anything you can do about it.

I just turn the volume up! :mrgreen:

Marc

jkinkennon

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Clicks on pedal note releases indicates it is time to replace the top felt strip. One can do some quick fixes for a note or two with additional felt or by needling it back to life a bit, but the best thing is to bite the bullet and replace the felt. It's can be a tedious job but not all that difficult.

mdyde

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B777Captain

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 6:05 pm

I don't think I need to replace anything because the pedalboard is brand new... literally less than a month old.

I just don't recall my previous pedalboard making this type sound... and it only seems to occur when releasing the low G pedal.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

anco111

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 12:39 am

Picture of the felt and springs of the one that makes noise? Maybe someone can see something...

B777Captain

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 am

Well...

If it wasn't so complicated to simply make a photo post on this website... I WOULD!! :-(

So that won't be happening unfortunately.
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

jkinkennon

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am

I would set the pedals upright with the magnets up for a close view of the ends of the pedals. The felt strip or some equivalent will be present. Try knocking on the underside of the 'G' pedal or depressing and releasing it so that the pedal snaps back into place. Between listening and looking for part clearances the problem should become obvious.

Don't assume that a new pedalboard can't have issues. It's kind of like working with pianos where the majority of problems are found upon delivery, not after years of playing. The felt might be too thin to begin with or a pedal may have been cut from green wood and warped a bit.

B777Captain

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks jkinkennon!

Patrick
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI