It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

Midi splitter

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

ludu

Midi splitter

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 am

Hello,

I need to divide my midi output in two connections: one for my console, one for a mini PC reading my PDF scores. I have found this very cheap product: https://www.amazon.fr/Tisino-broches-Smartphone-auxiliaire-dextension/dp/B074V2LTG3/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1523279225&sr=1-1&keywords=midi+splitter. But I am astonished because this kind of connection is strictly forbidden for audio. Is it really practicable for midi?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Luc

organplayer

Re: Midi splitter

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am

It is not "strictly forbidden" for audio but most time not recommended because you get low level output. But I use it since years in several cases whithout any problems to split the audio output to two amplifiers where quality is not the main issue.

In most cases for midi it works without problems because midi is very low speed digital signal. But avoid long cables!

Just try it! If it doesn't work for your equipment you loose just about 12 Euro (or something like this)

jkinkennon

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Just to be clear, for both audio and MIDI it is fine to split signals to two destinations but never OK to combine two outputs to a single destination input. Splitting = good. Combining = bad.

organplayer

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 am

Yes that's correct. But keep in mind, that splitting may cause some unwanted results, i.e. low level of audio output. Also I found if you split audio signal to two amplifeiers you may get a circuit-noise from the electric power (loop). I prefer to use an optical signal which can be splitted wihout any problem. (or one as electric and the other as optical if your soundcard allows this.

ludu

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 am

Many thanks for those first answers. If a Y connection does the job correctly, I am wondering why musicians pay much more expensive for this product: http://midisolutions.com/prodthr.htm. Is there a technical reason to consider this device safer?
Luc

jkinkennon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:33 pm

The MIDI Solutions product represents the correct way to do a MIDI split. The simple splitter cable will work OK in most cases. It's your call. Doing the MIDI split correctly would be my approach, but for short distances and with a normal MIDI out signal you can get away with using the cheaper cable.

With the audio split there is seldom a noticeable loss of signal amplitude because audio sources are relatively low impedance and audio inputs quite high impedance. Hum problems are highly unlikely unless the two amplifiers are on different electrical circuits. So for audio the 'Y' cable as a splitter is virtually always acceptable whereas MIDI splitting with a 'Y' cable should be considered a "hack" that usually works.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI