It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Midiworks wood-core worth the price?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Sigurdmos

Midiworks wood-core worth the price?

PostSat May 05, 2018 1:51 am

Hi!
I am currently deciding whether to buy wood-core or plastic keyboards from midiworks. I have tried some Viscount consoles and I discovered a big difference between plastic and wood-core. Wood-core is expensive, but I would rather be poor and have good keyboards, rather than being unsatsified with plastic keyboards. I have also heard of Fatar and can consider recommendations, but I really want the keyboards as simple as possible so I can begin playing as soon as I get them!

Greetings from Norway :)

brooke.benfield

Re: Midiworks wood-core worth the price?

PostSat May 05, 2018 10:25 am

I've got four of the plastic key Fatar keyboards which were purchased from Midiworks and am quite pleased with them.

With the Fatars, the "core" of the key is metal and the playing surface, be it wood or plastic, attaches to that. I'm sure the wood has better feel than the plastic but in my case the cost was just too high.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

telemanr

PostSat May 05, 2018 10:36 am

I also have 4 plastic Fatar keyboards from Midiworks at home. No complaints. Not as nice as our 1926 ivory manuals on our church’s Casavant which I play but perfectly acceptable. I don’t really think about the difference when I’m playing one after playing the other.
Rob Enns

Grant_Youngman

PostSat May 05, 2018 3:29 pm

brooke.benfield wrote:With the Fatars, the "core" of the key is metal and the playing surface, be it wood or plastic, attaches to that. I'm sure the wood has better feel than the plastic but in my case the cost was just too high.

Actually, tthe playing surface is laminated to a wood "core" which is attached to the metal frame. The mechanism is the same as the plastic.

My own Midiworks keyboards are plastic, and I don't have any complaints with them. If I had it to do over again I'd probably spring for wood. Built a HW instrument for someone else with the Fatar wood keyboards. They have a nice feel and look great. From a practical point of view, there isn't much difference.
Grant

mnailor

PostSat May 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I've been using 4 CMK3 cherry wood core "Pro" (round pistons) manuals in an OrganTechnology console.

I'm very pleased with the touch and feel of the keys, and the console build quality, compared to my previous Ahlborn-Galanti and Rodgers consoles with plastic keys. It was worth the money to me to go with the wood core keyboards.

smfrank

PostSat May 05, 2018 8:07 pm

So while we’re discussing these keyboards, anyone know about the new 24 piston layouts? Can’t find a pic or description. Steve
Steven Frank

8ftStop

PostSat May 12, 2018 3:54 pm

I am also considering the woodcore keyboards, but I'm a little concerned about the recent post in the Vendors area with the title "Contacting Classic MIDIWorks". Hopefully, things will get better as they adapt to Darryl being gone, but I am struggling dealing with another vendor about my pedalboard, and am reluctant to make a purchase with Classic MIDIWorka until I hear that they are running smoother.

profeluisegarcia

PostSat May 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Classic Midi CEO explained the issue days ago in another topic.
The "synapsis" between organ and organist are the key coverings. Wood coverings are very pleasant to the eyes and fingers, so I highly recommend this type of keyboard .

johnstump_organist

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 9:30 pm

I think the main point in having natural material keycoverings, ivory, wood, bone etc., is that they are porous and slightly imperfect on the surface and for that reason they absorb oil and sweat from your fingers and provide slightly better "traction". Depending on the person and their personal taste, natural coverings are generally better but the difference can be subtle. Natural coverings won't feel slippery like plastic can. I have wood, cherry ebony, and am very pleased with them.
John

georgefung

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 pm

telemanr wrote:I also have 4 plastic Fatar keyboards from Midiworks at home. No complaints. Not as nice as our 1926 ivory manuals on our church’s Casavant which I play but perfectly acceptable. I don’t really think about the difference when I’m playing one after playing the other.

I'm with Robert on this. I have been playing on Casavant's for years, but I can't complain about the plastic Midiworks keys on my HW setup.

dhm

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

All CMW keyboards come from Fatar. The wood-core ones are the TP/63LW and /64LW.
The standard black & white ones are (I’m almost certain) the TP/60LW.
But I much prefer the TP/6LP because of (a) the 45-degree angle under the front of the keys; and (b) the matt finish on the top of the key (the TP/60LW is too glossy).
And all my customers like the “tracker-touch” effect.
On top of all that, the TP/6LP is one of Fatar’s cheaper variants. Win-win all round. :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

162_Ranks

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I've had the wood core for several years and am VERY happy with them. When I take lessons on a 1916 church organ with ivory keys, I make MORE mistakes because the keys are slippery. The wood surfaces take a bit of getting used to as they have more grip on your fingertips, so sloppy slides don't works as well.

Brad

profeluisegarcia

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 pm

We know how important is denture for the human looking. Keyboards are the "denture" of the console and we are going watch it the rest of our life. I made the effort to get MW ebony keyboards and I have been very, very satisfied when I look my keyboards and feel the solid and finest wood in the world.

seh52

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 am

I like the look and feel of wood keyboards, but I also like the durability of my 20 years old plastic Johannus keyboards, that still work like new. They are not Fatar.

They are also more sanitary than porous materials. I play with clean hands, and the plastic stays clean. But many visiting organists leave a sweaty oily goo or remnants of their snacks behind on the keyboards. I easily clean off their grime with Windex and a paper towel. Are wood keyboards as easy to clean?

engrssc

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 pm

seh52 wrote:They are also more sanitary than porous materials. I play with clean hands, and the plastic stays clean. But many visiting organists leave a sweaty oily goo or remnants of their snacks behind on the keyboards. I easily clean off their grime with Windex and a paper towel. Are wood keyboards as easy to clean?

Windex - great product. A must when playing (in most cases a piano) in a nursing home where all manner of food groups can be found on the keys. Could be I'm too sensitive, but I even feel dust on the keys.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI