It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

"Adding" tracker touch?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

anco111

Re: "Adding" tracker touch?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 am

Paul Hodgetts wrote:I think i've just learnt the Dutch for "you do not have permission to view this picture"...

scottherbert wrote:Thank you all for your replies! Paul, I had wondered if those were too small to be effective, thank you for your input! And anco111, I am in the same boat as Paul, cannot see the images. :roll:

~S

Oops…. Could very well be because you need to be signed in on the forum to see the pictures..
Good luck learning dutch by te way :wink:

anco111

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 am

organtechnology wrote:
scottherbert wrote: The tracker touch is the deal breaker!

I will never understand (as a non-player) how or why the imperfection of the organ mechanism in a tracker touch organ, the defect that the builders worked so hard to eliminate, has become such a desired feature. (insert emoji for :tounge-in-cheek here).

Thomas the builder.

It's not a defect, it's a charm.. :wink:

johnstump_organist

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am

An important point when adding tracker touch to electric action keyboards, is to make the contact fires shortly after the resistance, "pluck" is overcome. If the contact fires before the pluck is broken or far after, the sense of control won't be gained.
Tracker touch is not always synonymous with heavy touch, I've played many organs, from small one manuals to three manuals with a brustwerk that had a touch so light, I was actually wishing it could be made heavier.
John

CatOrg

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm

ok, re-living ths thread...

- the hand's nerves and joints have a comfortable response to the pluck point
- unfortunately, make correspond the contacts of the key with the pluck point is probably uneasy, but this would really make sense
- I noticed that this solution is quite different from real pluck on a tracker. It seems its very difficult to adjust. Maybe combined with hall sensors, this could offer a better simulation.
- the story of the vacuum cleaner is surely an option, but after building a windchest for this, why not build also the pipes... Building pipes is very learnable and an excellent experience for an organist... Instead of magnet, use solenoids which force is indexed on the displacement of the key. To simulate better. But again, this is quite a huge effort.

engrssc

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Again, this is a hardware issue. H/W is software. I can see it would require a sample set (and possibly Hauptwerk) to compliment a controller that had the features you are suggesting.

For starters, you need to find a controller that does what you want. (And that was your original question as I recall). I might be wrong, but seldom if ever has this issue been mentioned here.

Rgds,
Ed

CatOrg

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 am

I understood this thread is about a hardware topic (pluckpointing an existing keyboard)
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI