It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

Expr ped spec

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Expr ped spec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 am

Is there any spec pertaining to the center line (CL) spacing for expression pedals? Seems it varies depending on the console builders available space. i know a crescendo ped is supposed to be higher by approx a half inch or so, but that seems to vary also.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

Re: Expr ped spec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 am

This seems to be the AGO specification....http://www.westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf
- it may help (though you've probably seen it already). The British RCO version can be found here http://www.organworks.co.uk/brit_console_dimensions.pdf.

Iain

engrssc

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks, Iain,

The British RCO version seems to be a bit more definitive but neither is specific beyond 3 swell pedals. So I can assume there is some leeway.

Rgds,
Ed

GrahamH

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi Ed

This is a question I have asked myself on a number of occasions!
I've come to the conclusion that the only cast-iron rule is that the Swell expression pedal should be positioned between the pedal board's middle D# and F#.
If the Choir division is under expression, the Choir pedal would be to the left of the Swell pedal.
If there is a Crescendo pedal, that would be to the right of the Swell pedal, and, as you say, a bit higher (if practical).
On a four manual console, the Solo expression pedal would be to the left of the Choir pedal, but if there were no Crescendo pedal I *think* the Solo pedal would be to the right of the Swell pedal.
How far apart to position these pedals is anybody's guess. To a degree it depends on the width of the actual pedals (or shoes) and judging by the variety of pedals on the market, there doesn't seem to be any fixed rule about that!
I like to position them far enough apart for the organist to be able to manipulate an individual pedal without catching an adjacent pedal, but close enough together for him or her to be able to manipulate two pedals simultaneously with one foot. I guess this is a particularly important consideration in the case of a theatre organ console. In practice I find that 10 to 15 mm gap between pedals is about right.

Regards

Graham

engrssc

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes, Graham, those are some of the "nominally exact" 8) rules I've used to which there are variations. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI