It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

A Simple VPO

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Coenraads

A Simple VPO

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 5:30 pm

I find myself regularly approached by local organists who would like help in putting together a VPO, usually on a budget. I begin by scrounging a bench and pedal board. If the switches are good, all I have to do is wire them up in a diode isolated matrix. If the switches are bad or missing, I'll install reed switches.

For keyboards, I try to find two or three used MIDI keyboards/synthesizers with working MIDI OUT.

I then program an Arduino Mega to scan the pedal board and accept and merge the input from up to three MIDI shields. The shield mounted on top of the Arduino automatically connects to serial port 0. The remaining two I mount beside the Arduino and hardwire to +5 V and ground. Then Tx from each of the two shields are wired to Rx for ports 1 and 2 respectively. If you wish to add expression pedals and pistons, I refer you to my Galanti project.

The code, available on my website, is written for a VPO of up to three manuals.

https://sites.google.com/site/casavantopus400/

These instruments have proved reliable and my "customers" report being delighted. This is the last of my code sharing missives. I hope some of it proves useful.

John

Sent from my iPad

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI