It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 pm

Material "welding" product

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Material "welding" product

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 pm

I've been looking for an alternative to "crazy glue" for fastening sometimes odd items during console construction. I came upon this product which really isn't a glue per se but rather a liquid which hardens, i.e. fastens things but is activated by a UV light source. I found the most economical (cheap) way is to buy the separate items vs the fancy pre packaged, marketed product. For example, such as a refill 5 pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bondic-Refill-5-Pack-Liquid-Refills-JL/372823498322?epid=3025138347&hash=item56ce031e52:g:MdwAAOSw8OtdutjE

and a UV source such as a LED UV (sometimes called Black light) flashlight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/365nm-Purple-Light-Flashlight-Pen-Light-UV-Fluorescent-Agent-LED-Flashlight-Lamp/293162875353?hash=item4441de79d9:g:PbwAAOSweX5cKt79

An important accessory is UV eye protection

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFETY-GLASSES-PYRAMEX-INTRUDER-CLEAR-ANSI-UV-PROTECTION-S4110S/151150149868?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Basically you apply a thin coat of the liquid to the two surfaces to be bonded (or as the marketing people call it "welded") together. Then apply (turn on) the UV light source. They say it takes only 4 seconds. I found it's slightly longer. A rougher surface seems to bond better. You can read about some features, etc, here:

Bondic® is NOT a glue, so don't use it as one! It's the world's FIRST liquid plastic welder, a tool that works best when following THE BONDIC® PRINCIPLES : Bondic® works best on rough surfaces and even better with undercuts. Bondic® solidifies only by exposure to UV light. Bondic® works best in layers (the maximum thickness of one layer is 1- 1.5 mm). Bondic® works best when the surface is clean and free of grease. Bondic® is solvent free, which is one reason why it doesn't dry out. Bondic® is a liquid plastic welder that should be used with the principle of welding and not gluing. Bondic® is the only product that works where glue fails. It's liquid plastic that only hardens when you need it to. Clean, Fill, Cure and Shape in seconds, to fix almost anything, saving countless precious items from ending up in the trash before their time. With Bondic® you can bond, build, fix and fill almost anything, it's a 3D tool that fits in your pocket. Use it on plastic, wood, metal and even fabric! Bondic® is the world's first liquid plastic welding tool! It's not a glue, so don't use it as one! It's the ONLY product that works where glue fails! It's a liquid plastic that never dries until you want it to! Simply squeeze out the desired amount and use the UV LED Light to cure it in 4 seconds and it's done, the world's fastest drying bond! You'll be amazed how fast it works! Bondic® is both heat and water resistant, as well as resistant to acids, oils, lyles, and lubricants! The uses for Bondic® are endless. Replace and restore substances (reparation). Setting elements and objects (temporarily or permanently). Control over adhesive strength on difference surfaces. Joining objects by integrating undercuts in the construction. Filling and Sealing. Mold Making. Bondic® can be molded, milled, filed, painted, polished and sanded, so you can customize any repair!

With a given small surface, a bond can be broken after being cured, but it does take some amount of force. I found esp with very smooth surfaces, you may make have to rough it up a bit (file or coarse sand paper) and re-do the process to get a good bond.

An alternate use for the UV black light is to see if and when your pet had an indoor "accident" as urine becomes fluorescent under black light. :roll: :shock:

And don't forget the eye protection.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Material "welding" product

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI