It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

Adding Swell / Crescendo Pedals

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

NickNelson

Re: Adding Swell / Crescendo Pedals

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:08 am

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:I bought the ssc-1 midi encoder from John Barber which allows for up to 4 pedals to be added, but can't find any decent instructions for assembly. His info that is supplied with it say that I should use a 5k pot where as Nick you said a 10k pot (linear). So which do I need if I am going to have 2 or maybe 3 if the first 2 work out!

To be honest I'd expect either value to work fine, but if the board maker suggests 5 k, then you might as well get that.

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:It makes more sense with it on the pedal, but if it goes onto the breadboard, do you leave it on the full open and the wiring does the work of transposing?

I'm not sure I understand what is suggested here. The pot slider has to be physically moved (not necessarily over its whole extent of travel, but the greater proportion the better) by the movement of the pedal. This requires a mechanical linkage between some moving point on the pedal assembly and the sliding part of the potentiometer.

The wiring simply carries the varying (voltage) signal from the potentiometer to the encoder board.

Nick

engrssc

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

The expression pedal here is mounted to the pedal board.

In my humble opinion, I would much prefer the expression pedal(s) be mounted on the "floor" of the organ console.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 10:15 pm

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:13 am

Here is a typical wiring diagram for (in this case 4) Swell / Crescendo pedals to an encoder (input). You can see each pedal potentiometer connects to the encoder with 3 separate wires.

Rgds,
Ed

NickNelson

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:38 am

Although for the MIDI encoder proposed, the positive and negative ends of the potentiometers are commoned, so it would make sense to do this at the pedal assembly rather than at the encoder.

Nick

JohnPrincipal8

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 am

Hi Nick
i have just had another look at your picture and realised that it is a sliding potentiometerso please ignore my question regarding this
Cheers
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI