It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm

Wiring for Thumb Pistons and toe Studs

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jcrowley

Wiring for Thumb Pistons and toe Studs

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Hello everyone - hopefully someone can help me with some new acquisitions for my console.

Lighted Rodgers Thumb Pistons with 6 connectors and Allen Toe Studs. I have searched the entire Forum for an answer but after viewing every post - most links no longer work for a wiring diagram.
There were some helpful photos but some were quite old and not real clear (at least in my mind).

I have a MIDIBoutique Board
Ribbon Cable
A Pig-Tailed/Barrel DC Connector
15 Rodgers Lighted Pistons
16 (but only using 10 Allen Toe Studs (Haven't seen 'em yet but eagerly anticipating their arrival.
Diodes for the lighted Pistons ( I calculated-what I needed beforehand).

First of all do I need anything else?

magnaton

Re: Wiring for Thumb Pistons and toe Studs

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 am

You didn't specify which MidiBotique board you have as they build several designs for MIDI encoding. If I read your post correctly, you need a MIDI encoder that will handle 25 inputs. Since 15 of these will also need to power a respective LED you might need an additional board. My advise is to email MidiBotique with your inventory and they can provide the correct answer for hardware and instructions.

BTW, since you've chosen lighted pistons, you may need a MIDI decoder as well for two-way communication with Hauptwerk. This will allow the physical piston's illumination to stay in sync with the virtual settings.

Danny B.

Jeff C

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 2:45 pm

I've sent you a PM which I hope will help get you started.

Regards.

Jeff

jcrowley

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm

magnaton wrote:You didn't specify which MidiBotique board you have as they build several designs for MIDI encoding. If I read your post correctly, you need a MIDI encoder that will handle 25 inputs. Since 15 of these will also need to power a respective LED you might need an additional board. My advise is to email MidiBotique with your inventory and they can provide the correct answer for hardware and instructions.

BTW, since you've chosen lighted pistons, you may need a MIDI decoder as well for two-way communication with Hauptwerk. This will allow the physical piston's illumination to stay in sync with the virtual settings.

Danny B.

Hi Danny ~ I ordered the msed32 - Stop piston MIDI encoder-decoder from MIDIBoutique - it is both an encoder and decoder. This particular board is for up to 32 momentary switches which is perfect because I only have a total of 31 (12 toe stud - and 20 thumb Pistons).

The toe studs for 8 generals - 2 Tutti's - 2 NEXT on either side of the expression shoes for the frame generals.

The pistons are duplicate of the Toe studs for Generals, 2 Next Buttons one under the bottom manual - one on the old stop bolster, 2 back buttons (in same locations) 4 Memory Levels, Zero for Frame generals 2 0+ again for frame generals. I really do not need any more because I have never used pistons on any instrument because they have never worked.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI