It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

Pedals keyboard placement

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

JohnPrincipal8

Pedals keyboard placement

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi all once again.
A bit of a strange question ( or maybe not). My pedals work from a keyboard situated on a shelf above and a bit behind the pedals and are worked via trackers and cords and though it works, I have used the first 30 notes of the keyboard and while the first octave + are ok, the last octave + have some issues with the cords being cramped into a small space and while I have tried to keep them separate, they are still white messy and I was wondering if it matters where on the keyboard the 30 notes are used obviously using the right notes to correspond with the pedals? For instance can I space the notes out along the 61 keys so that there is less distance for cords to travel? Also how do you add photos on here as I could show you what I mean.
Cheers
John
PS I know there will be some who thing that this is a strange way to do it, but it does work and that is all I am worried about.

IainStinson

Re: Pedals keyboard placement

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 am

You may find it helpful to look at this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_action. Look at the picture of the pedal rollerboard. The rollerboard connects the trackers from the pedalboard and transfers the vertical movement to pull downs under the keys to which the pedal keys are coupled.
Iain

mdyde

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 am

Hello John,

[Topic moved here.]

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:I was wondering if it matters where on the keyboard the 30 notes are used obviously using the right notes to correspond with the pedals? For instance can I space the notes out along the 61 keys so that there is less distance for cords to travel?

You would definitely need your consecutive pedalboard pedals to trigger consecutive MIDI notes, i.e. you *couldn't* map C->C, C-sharp->D, ..., for example. Although the bottom note on the pedalboard doesn't absolutely have to start at the lowest MIDI note (MIDI note-on message note value 36, which is bottom C on a 61-note keyboard), I'd highly recommend that you do, since it avoids the need for any key-shift settings in Hauptwerk, thus keeping it simple and avoiding potential for confusion.

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:Also how do you add photos on here as I could show you what I mean.

This topic covers it: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9797
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JohnPrincipal8

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am

Thanks Martin for that info. As my computer is giving me the [expletive edited out by Admin] at the moment in not recognising anything even though the computer says everything is working properly, I might try an experiment and see what happens by maybe shifting the bottom note up an octave which would give better spacing for the cords. The image thing sounds like a lot of work!
Cheers
John

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 am

Hello John,

If you use a program like "Bome midi translator", you could program a little filter where you would read the input midi messages and translate it to something else.

Your filter would analyze the inputs and translates it. For example

- If I receive a note value of 65 (it is the first F after middle C) then convert to 50 (second D on the virtual organ pedalboard)

- If I receive a note value of 69 (it is the first A after middle C) then convert to 53 (second F on the virtual organ pedalboard)

Note that you don't need to match note for note (F to F). So on your keyboard (used as a midi controller for your pedalboard), you could have F4 to play on the virtual organ B2...

Sorry for the lack of clarify (translating my thoughts to the concept then to French and finally English... is similar to your messy cords LOL)

Hope this helps.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

JohnPrincipal8

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 am

thank you micdev
That sounds rather interesting so I might check it out.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 12:50 pm

It is a "hack" but when I used this program for a project it did what it was supposed to do.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

JohnPrincipal8

PostSun May 17, 2020 9:35 pm

HI
I thought I would just let you know that I tried to shift the keys on the keyboard for the pedals up an octave to make things easier on the stringing situation but it didn't work. The computer is obviously too smart for that and also shifted the pedals up an octave but I only got a few notes due to the problem with my computer and usb terminals being faulty. The pedals are rigged back where they were and re stringed to make things more tidy and the computer problem is fixed and now everything is working as it should which makes me very happy and now onto the next challenghe.
Cheers
John

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI