It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:43 am

how to crimp wires for this connector

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Spharticus

how to crimp wires for this connector

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 11:22 am

Hi all- I bought these: https://www.allelectronics.com/item/con-103/3-cond.-mas-con-idc-connector-.1/1.html

It looks like the female barrel is already in the connector. Am I supposed to crimp the wire when it's in the connector? I'm only used to seeing the separate pins that you crimp on then slide into the connector.

rayjcar

Re: how to crimp wires for this connector

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 4:54 pm

This type of connector is of the insulation displacement type. You place the wire in the connector and then punch it down into the teeth using one of two tools. If you only have a few connections to make, use the Pancon MRT-100F - Insertion Tool. This is a manual punch tool which is relatively inexpensive. If you have a lot of connections to make, I would highly recommend the Pancon MMIT-100F. While this is much more expensive, my personal experience is that it gives much more positive results. This tool holds the connector in a slot and applies pressure from both the front and the rear.

Note that with these connectors, the type number indicates the wire gauge which should be used with the connector. The connector you have purchased is for 26 gauge wire, and the pins are on .1" centres. If your pins are .156" centres, the insertion tools will be different (MRT-156F and MMIT-156F respectively).

Ray

Spharticus

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 5:50 pm

ok- thank you Ray. I have a whopping 9 crimps to do assuming i have a 0% error rate (not likely), i'm wiring up three expression pedals.

Looks like Pancon stopped their NA business last year. I don't suppose anyone has one to rent? :D

rayjcar

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 6:21 pm

I'm located in Canada so the logistics of trans-border shipping, especially with COVID delays in customs clearance, even when nothing is due, are daunting. I had a package which took more than six weeks to be delivered.
Google the part number and you should be able to come up with suppliers who still have them in stock. Marco Specialties has the punch tool. The connectors were commonly used on pinball machines.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC

Note that Molex makes connectors which utilize crimped inserts and will fit the same pin spacings as the Pancon connectors. The advantage with the crimp connectors is that they fit a wide range of wire gauges.

Ray

Spharticus

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks Ray. I did search, and the only one I was able to find was a seller on eBay so I snapped it up. I'll put it back out there for sale when I'm done.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI