It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 am

Building an Invisible PC

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

organtechnology

Re: Building an Invisible PC

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am

RichardW wrote:
organtechnology wrote:Invisible PCs need shielding cases./quote]

I imagine that is part of the reason that the top and bottom panels are not wood but aluminium.

Regards,

That just makes the RF come out the sides rather than going through the top or bottom.
Sometimes antennas built that way are called "slot" antennas. The box/shield must go completely around the computer to be effective. I think Ed has the right idea with the perforated metal Faraday shield.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm

organtechnology wrote:I think Ed has the right idea with the perforated metal Faraday shield.

And the hole size in the perforated metal needs to be smaller than the "space"of the highest frequency needing to be shielded. In other words, if your window screen has holes 1/2" in diameter spacing, most insects can enter and leave. :roll:

As well, the material that has the greatest conductivity does the better job of shielding. Copper is a good choice but only if there are no holes or gaps/openings at the corners or edges. Copper is good also as the corners, etc can be soldered.The material I used resembles (copper) "fabric".

Construction technique - I built a wooden form that conformed to the outside dimensions of the object (in this case an open computer mounted to a piece of aluminum). then formed the copper material around this form. It was easy to form and cut. I then soldered the corners. It resembled what we used to think of as an upper side down shoe box. 1/2" aluminum angle was used to fasten this RF screen to the aluminum piece that held the open computer. So in effect the computer was almost totally enclosed except for the I/O shield. I'm sure there is some slight RF leakage , but there also is RF leakage around the door of your microwave "oven".

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 pm

I wonder how the manufacturers of open air or test bench PCs get approved?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=open+air+test ... &ia=images
Richard

engrssc

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 7:41 pm

RichardW wrote:I wonder how the manufacturers of open air or test bench PCs get approved?

Did they?

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI