It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:28 am

A new planned addition

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

A new planned addition

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 1:41 am

While I like and concur with the advantages of using a touch screen for multiple organ sample sets, the stop labrling thing, there is the element of staying old school and using legit drawknob stop control. I'm thinking along the line of having both (methods) sort of.
For the touch screen(s), planning to use Drew's suggested t/s - mounted vertically.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009Q97Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For mounting hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZP1BUI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a two piece (wall) bracket, one piece mounted to the monitor (VESA - 100 X100 mm) and the other piece in the center of the drawknob stop jamb. To do this, we would need to 'sacrifice' 5 drawknob positions on each side. With 80 drawknobs on this new organ, losing 10 drawknobs is doable. This way, the 70 remaining drawknobs could be configured to accommodate one main, single organ sample set. This way, the touch screen(s) could be slipped on the jambs when needed. Wiring wise, the t/s requires power, HDMI and USB connections. The bracket depth is 2.6"
while the drawknob head height is 2.5" .

An unknown and needed to be considered is the wobble factor of the t/s when mounted this way. But I do have a small welding rig which could make the bracket less adjustable, but more stable. Will see, as thanks to Amazon, the parts will be here on Tuesday.

As the computer has only a single HDMI port, will use a DVI to HDMI converter for the second monitor. The question, don't I have better things to do - probably. But this a challenge. Thumbs up - 8) With a self imposed covid lock down and winter approaching (where we live), I'm putting challenges in the 'to do' column.

As to why all this, for one thing, with the touch screens in place the roll top can't be used. Also, if I would consider donating this console, I know of one church organist who is very opposed to touch screens.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

Grant_Youngman

Re: A new planned addition

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 am

I use a similar mounts — not the same product, but similar. I bought them years ago, and have long ago lost track of brand/model. They are cast aluminum. I believe this is the same or at least a very similar product —

Knape & Vogt - VESA Compliant TV Mounting Arm. MM-100. They're sold by a variety of people.

https://woodworker.com/pivoting-flat-pa ... 70-519.asp
Grant

engrssc

Re: A new planned addition

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 3:30 am

The quick disconnect feature was what drew me to this particular mount.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI