It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 am

Piston wiring diode matrix

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

matbruce

Piston wiring diode matrix

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:56 am

Hello fellow users,
I am in the midst of my first 3 manual hauptwerk project.
Final job to be done is wire 40 klann pistons to my midihardware DMS2K going into Midi128.
I am trying to wire in 8x8 diode matrix.
I understand each of group of 8 pistons will need a common wire and then wires going from a diode in each group to the respective piston in another group to form the matrix.
Has anyone got any suggestions for the most practical and neat way to do this?

Many thanks.
Matt

GrahamH

Re: Piston wiring diode matrix

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:57 am

Hi Matt

Here's how I did it for Fatar TP60 keyboards using stripboard (Veroboard):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoz4kvgaf0sgvi6/DSCF1211.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgx8c03297igigk/DSCF1213.JPG?dl=0

Regards

Graham

larason2

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 pm

I’ve used a lot of 28 gauge AWM ribbon cable (10 conductor), which can be had fairly in expensively. I would strip the ends with a hobby knife, and wire the input to the switches, then solder the diodes on another ribbon cable, and those directly to the other end of the switches. There are many ways to do this, however.

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 am

larason2 wrote:I’ve used a lot of 28 gauge AWM ribbon cable (10 conductor), which can be had fairly in expensively. I would strip the ends with a hobby knife, and

Better to spend the money on a proper simple wire stripper (not at all expensive) gauged to the wire being stripped. With something like an Exacto blade it's far too easy to nick or scrape the wire(s), break strands in stranded cable, etc. And that can (and usually will) eventually result in trouble down the road.
Grant

larason2

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 9:06 am

I don’t disagree with you Grant, but when I was first getting started I was having trouble finding a stripper that went down to 28 gauge. The stripper I had only did 24 gauge as the smallest. Where I am, I would have to order from an electronics supplier in another province the tool needed. At first I had the troubles you suggested, but then I developed a technique with the hobby knife where I could cut them without fraying or nicking the wire. I probably should order a smaller stripper, but since my technique currently works, I’m going to keep using it for now. No reason not to recommend it, I feel, if it works and is inexpensive with readily available tools...

larason2

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 1:03 am

To follow up on my reply, I found the appropriate stripper for 28 gauge wire at my local hardware store, so I bought it! To be honest though, I find it sometimes still breaks the wires when stripping. Perhaps I am not using the right technique? I still think it is better than the hobby knife though, so I would say you were right. I also found that a better tool to separate the individual strands from each other is a small nipper that I have (similar to this one):

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/klein-tools-flush-cutter-lightweight-5-inch/1001331556

So I suppose you were right, but I still have to say that both the hobby knife and these tools get the job done. These tools are a bit more reliable and faster than the hobby knife, so probably worth the purchase (especially if you spend a lot of time wiring organs like I do!)

RaymondList

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 am

When I started my conversion, I asked an electrical engineer friend if he had a wire stripper for ribbon cable wires. He said no, just use your fingernails. So, I tried that technique. I found it was quite easy. I did over 300 wires and I think I broke about 8. It really did work well. Even separated the wires with my fingernails.

Regards,
Ray
Ray

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI