It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 pm

MIDI-ready keyboards

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Andrew

MIDI-ready keyboards

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 9:11 am

Hello all,

I've been off the forum for many years so please excuse me if this question has already been asked and answered.
I'm looking at buying two midi-ready keyboards for a DIY organ console.
I know that I can get them from midiworks in Canada for about 775 Can Dollars each.

https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php?opti ... uct_id=140

Are there any places that stock something similar? I would like keyboards with a reasonably heavy touch. I've heard the name Fatar a few times. Does any company stock their keyboards?

Or, does anyone have the keyboards from midiworks and can offer a review of them?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Regards,
Andrew (Western Australia)

mnailor

Re: MIDI-ready keyboards

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 11:33 am

Midiworks keyboards are from Fatar. They come with MIDI and stacking brackets built on by Midiworks. USB/MIDI and 5 pin MIDI outputs in the CMK3 version.

I have four CMK3 wood core keyboards with 20 pistons each, and they are comfortable to play.

I find the springs a little stiff for my atrophied left hand muscles (neurological disease), but my right hand has no trouble with the touch.
Last edited by mnailor on Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Organorak

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 3:49 pm

The Midiworks keyboards will be the Fatar TP60L or LF I believe which is their premium design:
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_60L.htm#

Fatar do many variants e.g. with wood surface or black white reversed etc. Plus cheaper ranges like TP6 or TP8 though no personal experience of them and look too plasticy compared to the TP60 metal structure. And they make classical organ expression pedals.

I have four basic TP60s and they feel lovely, even if plastic topped. Highly regarded on these fora.

You do have to add the cost of a MIDI card and ribbon cable for eack keyboard. And design your console so you can access them - occasionally a single ribbon cable contact may loosen loosing you eight notes on the keyboard as it uses scan matrix. Also they don't come with thumb pistons so make your own (very fiddly!) or pay for MIDIWORKS etc to do the fiddly bits for you.

Farar will not sell to end users so you need to find a supplier. Other manufacturers are around too and mentioned here from time to time.

Andrew

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 7:23 am

Thank you to both of you for the replies!

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI