It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 pm

so beautiful work

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

PostSat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Not exactly, Sander, even with MidiBox, you still can only send a single MIDI message at a given instant per output pin. I originally built a MidiBox setup, still have it so I'm not anti-MidiBox. Going to use it to convert a friend's instrument. As you mention, the programming can become quite involved, but once accomplished, the system works very well.

X-Keys, on the other hand, permits sending as many keystrokes (at once) in whichever order you choose and the order (sequence) you choose does make a difference as to the outcome.

BTW, I have downloaded (and read) Graham Wykes' MIDIO Mysteries Revealed http://www.northparkmeadows.com/midio_mysteries.zip Good (and very useful) manual.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Nov 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Brett, is it possible to move some of this thread possibly starting with Dick Linder's post. His post follows along the line of the beginning posts, but some of the others, including my own don't. It could be that other's could find some of the info interesting under a topic line such as Dual Touch Screens and an XP Music Reader (still under General Discussion).

Rgds,
Ed

jb

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 2:57 am

X-Keys, on the other hand, permits sending as many keystrokes (at once) in whichever order you choose and the order (sequence) you choose does make a difference as to the outcome.

With MIOS it is perfectly possible to send multiple MIDI messages in the order you want at once, only you have to program it yourself. I readily admit that this is much more complicated than configuring the X-keys.

mdyde

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 7:16 am

Hello Ed,

Brett, is it possible to move some of this thread possibly starting with Dick Linder's post. His post follows along the line of the beginning posts, but some of the others, including my own don't. It could be that other's could find some of the info interesting under a topic line such as Dual Touch Screens and an XP Music Reader (still under General Discussion).

I'm afraid the version of the forum software that's currently used (I believe Brett's planning to upgrade it in the fairly near future) doesn't have the ability to move threads or posts.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 am

Thanks for the reply, Martin.

Thanks, too, for the info, jb. I had raised that issue on another forum and I may have either asked the wrong question or interrupted the answer incorrectly. I admit this continues to be a learning curve for me and love every bit of it.

Rgds,
Ed

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Ed,

I don't believe it would be possible to move portions of threads, it would need to be the entire topic that has to be moved (but we'll check this for the new version once it is updated). As Martin wrote, this version of phpBB doesn't allow for that from the Admin side. Once the new website is ready the forum will be updated accordingly and should have some new features for both users as well as Admin settings.

The easiest thing to do would be to simply begin a new thread if things seem to go off topic 1/2 way through an existing thread.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Richard Linder

MIDIFIED CONSOLES ETC

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 am

Lots of topics--

Touch screen mounting - I used commercial aluminum handrail stuff from McMaster-Carr. The bottom of the pole is connected to the platform and is braced to the console about 1/3rd of the way up. The monitors are KeyTec and there is no glare since the console is illuminated with two spotlights mounted on the opposite wall, 45 degrees off axis and 8' off the floor.

Yes, Ed I did build the dolly: two layers of 3/4" Baltic birch suppported by 9 low profile casters and trimmed with a 6" Poplar skirt. The dolly weighs about 200# and I had to hire some help to get it from the basement to the music room and then place the 500# Conn on top.

The music viewer: I searched quite a while to find a viewer that would respond to all the keyboard commands I thought I would need. A viewer called AHA, downloaded from the net does the job. Francois, a two page display on a wide screen would be great especially if executing "NEXT PAGE" caused the right hand page to move left and the new page appear on the right. I have not been able to locate a viewer that would do that as well as respond to the keyboard command I am currently using. Now, after using the viewer I think I would give up some of the keyboard functionality of AHA in exchange for a dual display that will slide the pages. That would solve the problem of inconvenient page breaks however, I feel a NEXT PAGE and PREVIOUS PAGE key board macro would still be desireable.

I am using an K-Key interface to connect the push buttons, swell microswitches and toe studs. The toe studs (Klann) someyimes turn two pages. They employ two contacts which are bridged by a contact disc which is moved by the stud. Two wiping contacts ! They are not made for dry switching. I am retrofitting the studs with reed switches...we'll see. The microswitches on the swell pedal have too light a touch but otherwise work fine. They will have to be stiffened up with helper springs or replaced with somethng more robust.

Best wishes,
Dick Linder
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Please post additional comments about "digital music rack" on the following thread: http://forum.hauptwerk.com/view ... 6151#26151

I copied most of the posts relevants to that subject on this new thread.

Thanks

François

Richard Linder

Response to Ed's Question

PostSun Nov 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Ed:

Sorry I missed a couple of your questions. Re: the box on top of the right side of the console...An ancient Baldwin rhythm maker. My daughter's piano teacher gave it to me some 35 years ago.

Regarding the music file setup Iwill post that on the new thread that Francois initiated: "DIGITAL MUSIC RACK"
Best wishes,
Dick Linder
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI