It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Digital music rack...

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 6:39 am

Agree, Chris. There are some beautiful examples of built-in, integrated monitors on several posts here as well as other web sites. Definitely can be done.

Someone brought up the idea of sharing digitized music, as on a web site or such, but that probably has copyright infringment tones. That is except for music beyond copyright protection. Possibly worth looking into. Rummaging through that stack of music I have keeps looking less appealing and then, too, not to adversely damage them.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 7:34 am

Ed, Chris & all,

Technology usually = computers, cables all over the place, WAF=-25 (wife acceptance factor :-) )

You're right that correctly integrating the monitor(s) is a key factor to have a nice looking console. My present console is install in my garage (somehow converted as my music room), so the WAF is not that important (what I'm hoping to get soon is 3 manuals with a real AGO pedalboard (the 321 has a slightly radial pedalboard not AGO specs). Then I will make a nice, well integrated console

In the meantime, if I keep the "digital music rack", I will modify the console to remove the actual music rack, lower the monitor a few inches and build an overlay that I can put over the monitor so I can use sheets music.

If you're looking for some "digital sheet music" I bought a DVD on Ebay containing thousands of pages already in PDF: here is an example ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ORGAN-Sheet-Music-C ... 286.c0.m14 )

and another one including midi files ( http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Organ-Sheet-Mus ... 286.c0.m14 )

For around $10.00 you will save a lot of time, not having to scan yourself pages after pages of music. Also, if you're still working, check at your office, you might have a copier that can scan (one of our copiers has an automatic feeder and can scan and create a pdf file at more than 70 pages/minutes).

You will also find a ton of sheet music available "legally" on the net. Just googled around.

Now I need to find a few parts to refine my prototype....

Have fun!
François

engrssc

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 am

I was just going to post this "find" myself, which is a good one.
There are many of these DVD's available. This seller keeps posting them as soon as one is sold, he posts more. The second one with MIDI files (and sheet music) would seem to be an excellent learning situation even tho not all compositions are available on MIDI.

BTW, I use a wireless computer keyboard and mouse (when needed_ which eliminates a few wires.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 11:36 am

These dvd's are only copies that he makes on demand I suppose and are always available on ebay. (I even though about copying it myself and posting it on Ebay...) I bought the one with the midi file; it is fun to edit them and play thru HW, also help to learn new pieces etc.

Btw, for my main HW computer I'm also using wireless k/m, but yesterday to test my "digital music rack" I only had good old wired k/m.

I'm about to order the XKEYS matrix board; not sure exactly how to connect switches to it... so I might have some questions for you since you are using it... I still have a lot to learn about electronic.

François

engrssc

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 12:02 pm

No problem at all to hook up switches to an X-Keys Matrix board. You might consider it similar to a matrix with one row common hooked to multiple switches, a different common hooked to again (different) multiple switches, etc. Consider it as rows (up and down) and columns (across) altho the layout is somewhat integrated. Iadded a connector PCB to be a to label and make connections a bit easier. You probably saw my application on my writeup: [/url] http://www.jbwebserver.net/mforum/forum ... sp?TID=694 [/url]

Surprised to hear Richard's contact bounce situation causing sometimes multiple page turns. I have no problem using standard organ pistons to operate the Matrix board, but again they are not micro switches. There are several circuits available to eliminate contact bouce such as: http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ=Circuits/4013oneshots.htm

Sometimes a small value electrolytic capacitor across the contact will also do the job (to eliminate the bounce problem.)

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks Ed for the info about the matrix, once I received it I will study it in detail. I did saw your 340 makeover.... wonderful work.

Btw, I ordered the Matrix: $59.95 for the matrix and $42!!!! for international shipping.... oh well, you only live once!

engrssc

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 1:10 pm

The $42 is no doubt cheaper than moving and certainly less hassle. :>)

The Matrix board is also cheaper than the ready made products they sell and considerably more useful for custom work. Programming is a snap. If you program multiple key strokes per input pin (button), you have to consider the order in which you enter them. You can also add appropriate pauses which can be very useful as well.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 am

Surprised to hear Richard's contact bounce situation causing sometimes multiple page turns. I have no problem using standard organ pistons to operate the Matrix board, but again they are not micro switches.

Richard,

Btw in MusicReader there is an option to forbid multiple "clicks". In "Settings | Interface" there is an option "Page Turn block". Any click send before the expiration of the delay will be ignore. By default it is set at 1000 MS (1 sec). So that might solve your problem.

About interfacing, I think I found the ultimate touchscreen last night while watching "Election Night at CNN".... have you seen their "Magic Wall" ( http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/11/04/magi ... newssearch ), of course I would need a smaller one for my digital music rack ;-)

engrssc

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 am

Fox News has one of those Magic Walls also. We probably would both have to auction off most of our net worth to pay for one. Who knows, maybe they are rented?

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 am

Hooo... Fox News.... Illinois... can I deduct that you lost your election? Just joking, it's not of my business.

If you go to the creator's website http://www.perceptivepixel.com/ you will see an impressive demo.

Since I only need a 12" x 36" "magic wall", I guess I will only need to auction my house....

engrssc

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 11:22 am

My wife was channel flipping and I noticed. BTW, don't auction your house on ebay. Less than 10 cents on the dollar. Even the repo's aren't doing too well right now. Good for other stuff tho. A friend is looking for GSO3 for awhile. Can't seem to find one in his price range. Told him about Pristine Space. He turned pale. Maybe an old spring "reverb"?

Rgds,
Ed

Richard Linder

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 2:36 pm

Ed/Francois & All:

It looks like my contact bounce is really two different things. The "next" and "previous" microswitches on the swell pedal are too sensitive to the touch. I cannot detect when my foot is touching the microswitch arm. Looks like a helper spring under the arm might solve the problem. Regarding the Klann toe studs: I noticed a double page turn...the first turn when the toe stud was depressed and a second when I removed my foot. I think the wiping contact is playing tricks due to slight contact oxidation. I have started a retrofit project which will convert the studs to reed switches.

John King's magic wall and holorams: I can't imagine the specification of the computer that is running the wall. Last night there was a second wall that Soledad O'Brien was using and at an unopportune moment it hung up and would not respond. I guess they re-booted it because a bit later it was alive and well. The hologram...not too many years ago we thought green screen chroma-key was just great!

BTW re page turners...there is one high priced turner that on command will turn the top or bottom half of the page. When you reach the bottom of page one, all you have to do is look at the top of the page and there is page two (top half). The next turn command turns the bottom half of page one and there is the bottom of page two and on and on. Sounds like a sophisticated copy-paste program. I suppose there is a "no fly zone" to be observed mid way down the screen in order to avoid splitting a staff horizontally.
Best wishes,
Dick Linder
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA

engrssc

PostWed Nov 05, 2008 3:28 pm

The only other problem I see with using microswitches, Dick, is that they are relatively fragile. The structure (that holds the pin that holds the movable arm) is only plastic. Adding a booster spring will probably increase the possibility of it breaking at that weak point. You can see what Rodgers did in pictures of my instrument. I would be concerned especially with using a foot which could be a little less gently than a finger.

You might want to look at another solution from this web site: http://www.gino-midi.nl/EN/indexEngels.htm on the Mechanical Parts page, middle of the page, to the right of the swell pedal listing. Even with international shipping, found his stuff to be reasonable. Nice guy, besides. I bought his 3 manual, 64 stop all parts except the PCB's (MIDI encoder) for under $100 USD which included shipping (to experiment with). If you were to use that setup to actuate the microswitches, I'm sure it would work and last forever.

Just a thought.

Rgds,
Ed

Richard Linder

PostThu Nov 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Ed: Thanks very much for the info regarding the side switch. It looks pretty durable. Yes, after pondering the helper spring and the fragile microswitch pivot I gave up on that and mentally returned to the (virtual) drawing board.
Best wishes,
Dick Linder
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA

engrssc

PostThu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 pm

I've always gone with the engineering of a microswitch being actuated by another device, arm or whatever having fixed travel.

I'm thinking of getting one of these side switches as well. Just not exactly sure where to mount it since I have 2 - expression and 1 - crescendo pedals.

The one sustain/hold switch I have on the left of the Main (left) expression pedal works very well. If I put another on the Solo expression pedal, possibly getting to the crescendo might be a consideration. I know of some real TPO that have the switch on the right of the Solo pedal (between the Solo pedal and the expressioin pedal). Would seem to be in an easy to bump (accidentally) spot. Curious if anyone has made such an experience with such.

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI