It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

Wurlitzer Project

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

OPUS1883

Re: Wurlitzer Project

PostThu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 pm

If i am using the internal memory capture action to control my pneumatic stop tabs, when i select a piston setting... will my hauptwerk system be able to deal with 10 stop tabs for example all being selected at once when the stop tabs send a midi signal to the computer... ?

Chris ( the neophyte ) :lol:

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Jul 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Rodgers Theatre wrote:If i am using the internal memory capture action to control my pneumatic stop tabs, when i select a piston setting... will my hauptwerk system be able to deal with 10 stop tabs for example all being selected at once when the stop tabs send a midi signal to the computer... ?

Chris ( the neophyte ) :lol:

Short answer - Yes. :)

You could have Hauptwerk respond to the physical piston signal, when it would then internally select stops you have defined for the piston. Hauptwerk can then send MIDI back to your hardware controller which will move the tabs up and down corresponding to its own selection.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

virtual-pipes

PostFri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm

You could use the Hauptwerk/MIDI to control the combination action or use the orginal Wurlitzer combination relay and setter board to control the combination action. The latter option would require only stop (note) on/off MIDI signals to tell Hauptwerk what stops are on or off. The former option will require stop on/off signals plus magnet drivers for the combination action (two sets, one for ON, one for off).

Ther advantage of using H/W to run evrything would be using the set capture capability and multiple levels of memory.
Using the Wurlitzer option would preserve the original setter board/combination relay/"blow box" mechanism. I don't know if H/W has piston ranging or nuetral capability. Wurlitzer defintely does.

Being a neophyte is not necessarily bad, as it means you haven't acquired any bad habits yet. I am currently working on a pipe organ that is full of silicone gel as a sealant. This was done by a so called professional organ builder.
Where ever you go in this world, there is always somebody in the way..............

OPUS1883

PostFri Jul 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi. I now have a guy who is going to fully re-furbish the entire console internals. I didn't really want to get involved in trying to repair something i know nothing about. Thought i'd leave it to the experts :D All i have to do is fit the midi to the contacts in the console, which i will do when most of the internals have been taken out of the console to restore them. Any advice that can be given about problems i may come accross when trying to add midi to the wurlitzer console will be gratefully received. 8)

Many thanks

Chris

virtual-pipes

PostFri Jul 03, 2009 3:48 pm

What MIDI encoders will you be using?
The easiest encoder for to use would be the parrallel type, not the matrix encoder type. You will need an encoder for each manual and pedal, including 2nd touch as a separate manual. (5 61 note encoders plus 32 note for the pedals)
You will also need an encoder(s) with enough inputs for all the stop switches, and effects buttons/toe studs and piano levers. You will also have to convert the swell pedals from the discrete contact type to a type that moves a potentiometer. These will connect to the analog inputs of the MIDI encoders. (3x for Solo, main and crescendo pedals)
There should be cables coming off each keyboard that you will probably have to ring out. These will connect to the encoders. If the console is more or less original, this may be a problem as all the keyboard and stop cables were taped together in one giant cable that went off to the the relay. These cables were taped together with friction tape and the individual wires are double cotton coated and copper wire is shellaced.
If it were me doing this, I would strip out the old Wurlitzer key contact blocks and replace all the key contacts with new ones and wire them up with new, color coded telecom cable. Organ Supply Inc. sells a 4 wire contact block that is a direct replacement (p/n 0220.24). Use two wires for feed and two for MIDi note on/off. This seems like more work but It would save some time stripping and ringing out cables, plus the key contacts would be new.

http://www.organsupply.com/catalog_orde ... heatre.pdf
Where ever you go in this world, there is always somebody in the way..............
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI