It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

A New Console With The Help Of Friends

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Re: A New Console With The Help Of Friends

PostWed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks for the warning.
Yes, I realized that spacing would be an issue. I was just thinking about something to use in case I go with a higher end keyboard that does not come with pistons to start. Something I could use to set large registrations at the beginning of a piece or at movement breaks, until I could get some sort of real pistons figured out.
John

engrssc

PostWed Oct 28, 2009 11:54 am

Regarding the strip's "soft touch", I've heard of some attempts at stiffening by placing small bits of soft foam under the key cap mounting mechanism but never heard back on the success or not.

Another (more expensive) idea was to use every other button and "black out" and not program the those unused (blacked out) buttons. Would need double the amount of strips that way. No doubt, the maker's of the product wouldn't mind that approach.

Likewise, I've heard of using white door bell buttons, the kind that have the brass or silver colored ring around a white center. These don't stick out as far as regular pistons, but should work more or less ok. If I remember correctly, they are mounted (pushed into) a hole nearly if not exactly the same size as the real pistons. With these, you could then use the X-Keys matrix board the same as I do. That board has been super reliable and relatively cheap. Believe I paid $50 for it.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostWed Oct 28, 2009 11:59 am

Just got an email from a friend saying that those door bell buttons require a larger (than a real piston) mounting hole. Stand corrected.

Rgds again,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Oct 28, 2009 4:01 pm

John,

Since X-Keys is transmitting keystrokes, you will need to use MidiKeys (you will find it on the main page of midiox http://www.midiox.com in the "Midi-ox scripting" section). This is the link to download directly http://www.midiox.com/zip/MIDIKeys.msi

This will convert keystroke to midi message.

François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ecmartinjr

PostSun Aug 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I am embarrassed to say that here, one year later, I am responding to John Stump's question as to the difficulty of programing the X-Keys as pistons. I don't think that I would have been able to figure it out on my own. But once François (micdev) helped me it was not hard to do it. The X-Keys people have put out an update of their software which seems to work well. Hope this helps. Again, sorry for the belated response. Ed
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI