It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

32-note pedalboard options that won't break the bank?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

tbassist4

32-note pedalboard options that won't break the bank?

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a college student (Bachelor of Music in Double Bass performance), and I'm really involved in my church's musical activities. I want to build a MIDI organ to practice on. Everything seems to be priced pretty reasonably except for 32-note pedalboards, which I cannot find for under $2000 - $3000.

Are there any less expensive options? Otherwise I suppose I can wait for a pedalboard to show up on ebay or craigslist and then convert it to midi. When I can purchase two or three M-Audio Keystation 61's for $150 each and strip them, I cannot justify paying $2000 - $3000 for a pedalboard, nor would I have the money to purchase one if I could justify it. :wink:

Thanks so much for your time,

Tyler

gtaubman

Re: 32-note pedalboard options that won't break the bank?

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Tyler,
I went to an organ shop and they sold me an old pedalboard and bench for $50 each. I bought a midi converter from Jordan at midiboutique.com for ~$150, and that's that (if you don't include the manual labor of some how getting the pedalboard into my apt).

Gabe

tbassist4

PostThu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks Gabe,

Something like this would be perfect. $200 is much more in my price range. I'll have to look around locally and see what I've got around here for organ shops.

Tyler

gingercat

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 am

I picked up my pedalboard very cheaply from a local organ builder who just had a collection of old pedalboards sat in his shed :)
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Taco

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 am

gingercat wrote:I picked up my pedalboard very cheaply from a local organ builder who just had a collection of old pedalboards sat in his shed :)

I do the same, i have several pedalboards in stock. (old and newer) Unfortunately shipping to the States is too expencive.
Midify the pedalbaord is easy, if i may believe MIDI Gadgets Boutique.
But it's not clear to me yet how to fix the reeds to the organ.

Taco.
Taco.

Nick18

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 am

I picked up an old pedalboard from a organ builder for almost nothing.
Then I converted it to midi using reed contacts and small magnets (can make a picture if you like) and my homemade midi converter (total costs: around 20 euro but you need some experience to make it).
Met vriendelijke groeten (Best regards),
Nico

Taco

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 am

Nick18 wrote:I picked up an old pedalboard from a organ builder for almost nothing.
Then I converted it to midi using reed contacts and small magnets (can make a picture if you like) and my homemade midi converter (total costs: around 20 euro but you need some experience to make it).

Yes, please, let us see what you did.
Taco.

bcollins

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 am

I recently bought a non-working 1964 Conn Artist 2-manual [mostly] AGO spec electronic organ for $100 and hauled it home to my drive way - much to my wife's dismay.

2 hours later I had a beautiful walnut 32-note pedal board, a gently used walnut organ bench, a swell shoe with 10K pot, and a 15" CTS woofer. Not to mention the Leslie motor assembly I gave to the local organ tech as a gesture of goodwill, and yet another tube amplifier for my small collection. Also kept a couple jars full of perfectly good wood screws and other assorted fasteners for the shop. (Habit of my depression era fore-fathers)

Oh, and a dumpster full of junk. :D
Tools required: Reciprocating saw, power screwdriver, socket set, and a sledgehammer!
Bob Collins

Nick18

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 11:46 am

Taco wrote:Yes, please, let us see what you did.

Ok I will post some pictures when I'm back at home, probably on monday.
It is still preliminary because I'm building my console right now (from the bottom up with my bare hands :wink:) but it works great!
Met vriendelijke groeten (Best regards),
Nico

kaspencer

PostSat Jul 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Tyler,

If you want a low-cost (but very effective) solution, many of these respondents are quite right - there seem to be churches everywhere that are either closing or losing their organs.

I got my 30-note concave radiating pedalboard (older than, but compliant with, RCO standards in the UK) for only £5.00 ! That's under $10. I am sure it's the same in the States.

Have a look at:

http://www.my-music.mine.nu/project.htm

if you want to see how I put my organ console together.

Good luck

Ken.
Kenneth Spencer
Music Site: http://www.my-music.mywire.org
Project Page: http://www.my-music.mywire.org/opus_ii.htm
Books on Hauptwerk and Computing; Novation Launchpad overlays: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kaspencer
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/kaspenceruk

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI