It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

Conn 653 console

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

amontgomery

Conn 653 console

PostTue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 pm

I have a Conn 653 console, and I want to run Hauptwerk throught it, with the computer screen on top. How would I do this? How much will it cost?

Alan

wurlitzerwilly

Re: Conn 653 console

PostWed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 am

amontgomery wrote:I have a Conn 653 console, and I want to run Hauptwerk throught it, with the computer screen on top. How would I do this? How much will it cost?

Alan

Take a look at my website: http://www.virtualtheatreorgans.com which should give you a good start and an insight into what can be achieved.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

jkinkennon

PostThu Jul 16, 2009 2:30 pm

The phrase "run through it" suggests you may wish to keep the Conn 653 fully operational. If so you have a much more challenging job than adding MIDI to a gutted console. See the thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5162
In this case a Rodgers console was converted to output MIDI while maintaining some or all of its original voices. This is a job which requires above average ability as well as a keying design which is friendly to MIDI conversion. I'm not sure about the Conn 653, but with the older Conn 651 this approach would not work as the 651 keyboards switch actual audio (and pulses) as opposed to DC voltages. Since your model has a transposer I'm thinking that the keying may have been updated to where certain Syndyne products would be compatable.
You mention cost. If I misunderstood about preserving the existing functionality then you might well spend way less than $1000 to add MIDI. The other costs will vary all over the map depending on whether you buy everything you need to run Hauptwerk or use existing equipment.

Owen Jones

PostFri Aug 14, 2009 6:30 am

Have a look at my website, pictures and layouts also some pics of a friends 653 running HW3 and Neil Jensen's 3/35

http://theatreorgans.com/owenjones/

Owen

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI