It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 am

Help with a touch screen overlay

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Neil Odlin

Help with a touch screen overlay

PostWed Sep 09, 2009 5:33 pm

I have just bought a touch screen overlay. It seems to work absolutely fine until I mount it on the screen and then it seems confused. I think it is because the bezel which clips over it to hold the overlay in place is putting pressure around the outside therefore the mac is thinking that there is a finger all the way around the outside. Do any of you have any ideas or is it simply a case of cutting some of the bezel away?

Neil

daveyspen

Re: Help with a touch screen overlay

PostTue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Neil
I had exactly the same problem and solved it by cutting away the plastic bezel- all the way around so there was nothing touching the glass.I used a dremmel hand drill with a saw blade to cut the the plastic.
I filled the gap with silicone rubber bath sealant to hold things in place.

The grim looking bezel was then disguised by supergluing an alluminium frame over the surface (mitred at the corners).
The thin strip of alluminium is available at B& Q - they now sell small quantities of metal for various craft purposes-I think it was about 12mm x 2mm .
I will try and upload a picture at weekend.

gingercat

PostWed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 am

If they're new, it's a bit of a risk cutting the bezel incase it turns out that that wasn't causing the problem and there is something more fundamentally wrong with your panels. I'd suggest querying your vendor and see what they have to say about it.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

AndrewB

PostWed Sep 30, 2009 2:54 am

One way to work it out... take off the bezel and try again.

I had to modify the cases of my screens to leave a gap around the entire edge of the touch screen - the end result was excellent.

Incidentally - I attached my overlays to the LCD screens with a few blobs of quick set epoxy glue - you can't use the bezel to squeeze the overlay against the screen to keep it in place.

Hope this helps.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI