It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

New Drawknob Console project

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

dflick

Re: New Drawknob Console project

PostWed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 pm

speaking of cash- if you dont mind me asking, how much have you invested into this project? Just incase some one like me is curious in taking on this endeavor.

joeltrekell

PostWed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm

WOW!
Good for you, that is a GIANT project! Can't wait to see what it looks like when you finish it!
What kind of wood is that?
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

coupler

PostThu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 am

Hi dflick & Joel,

how much have you invested into this project?

I am keeping receipts and for the console (wood, all hardware, power supplies, computer, keyboards, etc., etc., so far its about $USD15000. This is a lot of money in anyone's books, however, to put it in context think about the cost of a 4 manual digital instrument (granted, you turn it on and its up in a few swconds) and the cost is less than 10%. Further to that I am yet to hear a modern digital instrument that comes close with sound realism.

What kind of wood is that?

It is Kiln Dried Victorian Ash. Used extensively for furniture manufacture and flooring in Australia. Also known as Tasmanian Oak. Looks very similar to White American Oak.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

Gertjan

PostWed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 am

David,

You are actually doing an amazing job. This is the best console I' ve seen so far. Any chance you are going to produce a blueprint of you're console??

Cheers

Gertjan

coupler

PostWed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for your kind words 8) . I don't have 'blueprints' exactly, more like hand written notes and drawings made over a long period of time, and info garnished from this forum and the internet. I have also made variations on the way, so several of my initial ideas on paper didn't make it. I do have dimensions and a cut list for the frame, stop jambs and desk which I will post here when I type it all out some time soon.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

jwillans

PostWed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 pm

coupler wrote:Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for your kind words 8) . I don't have 'blueprints' exactly, more like hand written notes and drawings made over a long period of time, and info garnished from this forum and the internet. I have also made variations on the way, so several of my initial ideas on paper didn't make it. I do have dimensions and a cut list for the frame, stop jambs and desk which I will post here when I type it all out some time soon.

Cheers,

Hi David - I for one, would be very interested in seeing the dimensions for your cut list.

Thanks,

James

joeltrekell

PostWed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi David - I for one, would be very interested in seeing the dimensions for your cut list.

I would love to see them too.

Are you going to build something to go behind the pedalboard, like around the swell shoes, and mount some toe pistons or something?
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

coupler

PostWed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Joel,

I still have quite a lot to do including the knee panel (this is the 'bit' around the swell shoes). I will fit and wire the tilting tablet assembly (from Organ Supply Industries) into the nameboard first, then make the knee panel and fit toe pistons.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

coupler

PostWed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 am

Hi Folks,

Another update.........

At last the Tilting Tablet Assembly arrived from Organ Supply Industries.

I cut out the hole for it in the nameboard, mounted it and mounted the music rack I had made earlier.

It looks less like a science project and more like a real organ now and I must say I am pretty pleased with the result so far 8)

I still have to wire up the tabs, however, they come with IDC plugs on the back and a tool to push in the wires (NO SOLDERING :!: )

The knee panel is next............... Oh, and of course I need the full Salisbury Cathedral Willis sample set to use it!

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

engrssc

PostWed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 am

Thumbs up, both hands, David. You have ample reason to be proud. :)

Rgds,
Ed

joeltrekell

PostWed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 pm

AWESOME!!!
I never get tired of looking through your picture gallery!
So everything, the drawknobs and tilting tabs are mechanically activated, or they move automatically when you push one of the pistons, right?
Thanks!
Joel Trekell

coupler

PostSat Feb 13, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks Ed and Joel :D

You are right Joel, the drawknobs and tabs can be activated via the Hauptwerk combination action or manually 8)

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

dflick

PostSat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 am

Have you gotten the new sample set yet to test your creation? I'm curious to see how you lay out the pistons.

coupler

PostSun Feb 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi dflick,

I will be ordering the sample set by the end of the week, but I am on a tour of duty so I won't get to use it for a couple of weeks :cry: .

The piston layout on my console is very close to the Willis console. I have moved the 8 generals and divided them between the great and swell manuals. I also added a few extras for menu items like record/stop and standby combination slots.

Having listened to all the demo's it is driving me crazy to be away working, but I've 'gotta' pay the bills!!

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

dflick

PostMon Aug 16, 2010 11:33 am

Hey David,

Any updates on your console project? I know several members have expressed interest in whatever document you were planning on drawing up to help inspire us so I thought I would give the post a bump to re-ignight interest!

Best,
Dan
PreviousNext

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI