It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm

First set of key cheeks completed

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

First set of key cheeks completed

PostTue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Hello all,
Here is a link to the flickr fotos of my first set of keycheeks. They need finishing and holes drilled in the key slip for pistons, but I will try and finish all three sets first.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstump_ ... 963498726/

John

GDay

Re: First set of key cheeks completed

PostTue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi John,
Nicely done. Reminds me of when I had to let in the cheeks and front rail to accomodate my chopped synth keyboards. Not as well crafted as yours though. You must feel a real sense of accomplishment!
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

johnstump_organist

PostWed Dec 09, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks,
I have always found woodworking, the little bit I get to do, very satisfying. I think in my next life I would like to be a cabinet maker. It is easier for me right now because I have access to a fully equipped wood shop with many excellent people who also work there and are willing to give advice about how to achieve something. The hardest part for me was shaping the front ends in the Skinner style. I wanted something fancier than just square cheeks, but don't have the carving skills to get to fancy. When I get back to Mexico, I think I will have a local craftsman carve little heads of various composers to place at the end of the key cheeks.
John

Taco

PostThu Dec 10, 2009 1:13 pm

That's nice. I had a similar idea.
Nice work.

Keep going..............
Taco.

johnstump_organist

PostThu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

More or less finished the three sets of keycheeks today and put them together for the first time so I could line up the tail ends to mark them for cutting off. Will do that tomorrow, finish up the mounting blocks for the key slips and put the hinges in place on the back ends of the tails. AND spend a lot of time finish sanding them. Then I can put a couple of coats of tung oil on them this weekend and be done with them by Monday. Hopefully I can start on the main desk in the next couple of weeks. Its all done in my head, I just have to execute it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstump_ ... 963498726/

PeterD

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 6:21 pm

The local Scottish-Italian Coffin maker who did my key cheeks ( extra set for fourth manual) took a pattern from existing key cheeks from Fatar keyboards, made a jig so that he could use a simple hand held router to carve them out - and very nice they turned out. Here are some pics if anyone was thinking of doing something similar

Best

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

coupler

PostFri Dec 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi John,

Your fine craftsmanship puts my 'hack' job to shame. I am very impressed! Keep up the good work, you have raised the DIY bar!

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

Taco

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 3:49 am

John, where did the keys coming from? Did you bought them?
Taco.

johnstump_organist

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 7:18 pm

They are Fatar keyboards that I bought through MIDI Works in Canada. here is the link to page where the options for this line of fatar keyboards with real wood coverings are pictured.
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_60LW.htm

johnstump_organist

PostSat Dec 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi David,
You work doesn't look to hacky to me. It was your pcitures that inspired me to get started. My final console will be with touchscreen (s) since I look forward to owning several sample sets eventually in different styles, including a theater organ set one day as I like to dabble in that from time to time. It will also be somewhat simpler in desing along the line of a schlicker/holtkamp style console.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI