It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

New custom organ console project.

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

allencga

New custom organ console project.

PostSun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Thought I'd post a link to a few pics of the latest custom organ project I have been working on. The console is for Michael Waxer and will incorporate three wooden keyboards from Classic MIDI Works as well as a 1969 Allen Organ pedal board that has been totally revamped functionally and cosmetically.

I found a way to fabricate solid wood key cheeks for the Classic MIDI works keyboards that eliminate the plastic brackets that come with the keyboards. I am considering offering these in pairs for users of this type of keyboard. Also considering offering custom dress up sharp sets for pedal boards for those who wish to do away with the standard black plastic pedal sharp keys.

Here are just a few pics of the project for now with more to come later. See link below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9d9&type=1
Allen

allencga

Re: New custom organ console project.

PostMon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Added a few more pics to the album tonight.
Allen

engrssc

PostTue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 am

Like the music rack light. Any details? Appear to be incandescent vs LED's? Is that a commercial fixture or did you make it?

Really like your pedal board make over. Most are without character.
Are the sharps the same height as the plastic ones (were)?

Totally impressive.

Rgds,
Ed

allencga

PostTue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 am

Hi, thanks for the comments. The sharps on the pedal board are as tall as the normal playing height at the toe end of the sharp. I did not angle the tops because of the way we did the back rail with the graduated length sharps it would have resulted in ever increasingly steap angles toward the extremes of the pedal board.

The lamp is an incandescent art lamp acquired by the customer, Michael Waxer, and shipped to me from the supplier. I am not sure where he got it, I will ask if he can post the details here. I added larger diameter metal extensions to the legs of the lamp and added a longer cord, other than that, no major changes were needed. This lamp seems very well made overall and I think it will work well for this.

Allen
Allen

engrssc

PostTue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the info. Appreciate.

Rgds,
Ed

MikeDC

PostTue Oct 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello All,

First, allow me to say that working with Allen and Edgar is terrific. Their attention to detail is exacting and they have very high standards. I encourage any of you who are considering assembling an entire console, or only a partial console (keycheeks, music rack, enclosure) to contact Allen. He'll be available as soon as my project is finished :wink:

The lamp you see in the music rack Allen just finished is actually an art/picture light. As Allen stated, he had to modify it and build legs for it in order for it to work in this application. As you can see, it turned out quite well. The light comes in a slew of colors and sizes and is MUCH cheaper than similar lamps designed specifically for the piano or organ. After researching many sources, I found this to be the cheapest:

http://www.atgstores.com/products/view.aspx?sku=403269

P.S. My project is a full console. The only thing we outsourced is the keyboards from Classic Midi Works. Of significant note, this console will have real rocker tabs--the design and manufacture of which are by Allen. They will use LED's as indicators. Our thumb pistons will be somewhat unique as well as they will also use LED's as indicators. The design of the console shape is my own, so don't blame Allen if you don't like it. It's a bit of a cross between a Holtkamp and Laukhuff, i.e., very angular and sleek, but with side jambs. The two-tone staining was also my choice.

Michael

ChangedForever

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 1:23 pm

Allen,

I know the post is a little old.. BUT.... just wanted to say what you hear all the time.... very nice work!! :D

Have a nice week,
Mark

mumblecake

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 2:26 am

I wondered if you built your expression pedals from scratch or if you simply exchanged the contact plate? I'm currently looking for a cheap home built solution as my budget isn't quite large enough for the commercial ones (would hopefully some day upgrade to proper ones).

jkinkennon

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

Check this thread for an expression pedal potentiometer mount that is cheap to build and could be adapted to almost any pedal:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10400

organtechnology

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 am

Hi John,

I looked at the Mouser site for slide potentiometers and was overwhelmed by the variation in styles and cost. Which one did you use for your project?

Thanks,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 12:09 pm

I've ordered COM-09119 from SparkFun as they sell the PIC32 board that I use. I'll look on Mouser and add an edit if I find something that looks right.

EDIT: Try

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alp ... MHtOGHY%3d

The parameters I looked for were 10k, linear taper, 60mm travel (long), and the Alpha brand had an actuator lever that looked about right to fit the grommet I used.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI