It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

Latest Windows 10 1903 Update Can Cause CPU Spikes

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Latest Windows 10 1903 Update Can Cause CPU Spikes

dhm

Re: Latest Windows 10 1903 Update Can Cause CPU Spikes

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am

Here we go again..... :cry: Let's all stick with Win 7.
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jkinkennon

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am

I've had no issues running Win 10 1903 on my new computer, a 14-core i9 9940X, but perhaps that's just due to having the extra power. I tried a few desktop searches as mentioned in the link and they did cause perhaps 30% utilization for two of the 28 threads so perhaps that would have a big impact on a 4-core i7. In any case HW runs fine with the usual caveat of disabling SysMain and in my case I had Skype running which caused cpu spikes but no audio breakup. I don't use Skype so that's permanently turned off now.

evertjan

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 am

If you disable BingSearch in the registry, this problem is solved.
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/02/cpu-s ... microsoft/

set BingSearchEnabled value to 1 under the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
and restart the PC.

organtechnology

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 pm

dhm wrote:Here we go again..... :cry: Let's all stick with Win 7.
If it ain't broke, why fix it??

Because Microsoft will make you!
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

csw900

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 am

How many more times?

If you are worried about spikes and other sundry problems: Do NOT connect your organ computer to the internet.

csw900

jkinkennon

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 am

Somewhat related: Do not upgrade past 1903 with windows update at this time. The latest Sentinel HASP/LDK installer dated 8-23-19 will cause a page fault -- plugging in the HW dongle with the older driver will also fail. You will be without HW licenses until a new driver is released or until you repair/reinstall windows to return to release 1903.

I do highly recommend Win 10, but the "fast lane" upgrades come with risks that should be avoided unless a quick system restoration is possible. Additionally I run many applications that require internet connections and latest updates and a "HW only PC" in the $3000+ range is not an option at home. I run Adobe and Microsoft Office apps from the cloud as well as CAD and numerous programming IDEs, all of which would be crippled without an internet connection. Personally the only precaution I take at the moment is to turn off SysMain. I leave the cloud services running and have disabled Skype permanently.

organassist

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 am

For those who must have a Hauptwerk PC connected to a network, you could use the following approach which I have found successful.

I have set a rule in my wireless router configuration to block access to three domains: microsoft, windows and windowsupdate. The laptop and other windows PCs on my network work fine and never update. Just occasionally a website fails if the content is hosted at one of these domains but I find this is a very rare occurrence. My Windows laptop is currently running version 1803 very happily. Problem solved!

(Obviously if you connect to another network then updates WILL be applied....)

engrssc

csw900

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 am

I have never thought of implementing Organassist's idea but I will certainly be having a look at the internals of my router to see if it can block Microsoft and possibly other potential nuisance websites.

However I am not optimistic that it will have the capability to do this.

Organassist - what router are you using? Exactly what data do you have to insert in order to block Microsoft?

csw900

organassist

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 2:52 am

I have a TP Link Archer C5. The settings are all listed in the admin menu under Access Control.

First you have to define/name a "Target" (you can choose Domain or IP Address) - I just put microsoft, windows and windowsupdate in the first 3 textboxes. Then you define/name a Host range - this is a range of IP addresses (or MAC addresses) on your internal network. Lastly, you create a Rule blocking a named Host range from accessing a named Target range.

I realise that other routers may specify this in a different way but this is the basic information required.

csw900

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 2:38 am

Thanks organassist, I used to use a TP Link Archer D2 but when I changed to a Fibre connection it would not connect using the compulsory VDSL so I had to go back to my HUAWEI HG633 which does connect.

Having looked through all the internal options on the HG633 the internal firewall does offer the option to block http and other protocols, but does not offer any option to block specific sites.

I cannot see any options in any of the menus which could block specific sites. However the menus use some terminology which I do not fully understand (including DMZ which I thought was de-militarised zone). So there could be some well hidden option I have not found.

csw900

organassist

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 am

If your TP Link has one of the Ethernet ports marked WAN then you can just take a cable from one of the LAN ports on the HUAWEI to that and then use it as your hub. I do this as my ISP provided hub is not as flexible, so I just ignore it and cable through to the TP Link which I then configure in more detail.

csw900

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:29 am

Yes the TP Link does have a WAN connection - I will have to do some more experiments!!

Later the same day:

My TP Link, when used in the way you suggest, does work but does not have any facilities for restricting access apart from parental controls. Parental controls can restrict access times and has the facility to restrict particular words. Inserting words like Microsoft or update.microsoft has no effect on access to any Microsoft website.

Thus my conclusion is that your method of restricting access MAY work in particular cases but has no general validity.

Have you checked that your restrictions actually work - can you access Microsoft websites?

Even Later the same day:

I found this on a Microsoft forum which shows how update works and (maybe) how to stop it.

The process that was doing the actual downloads is

C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe

Which then downloads files to

C:\Windows10Upgrade\

which in turn downloads files and handles backups creatings windows.old etc.

After adding it to a process blocker the error message immediately closed, so I renamed all of the files in this folder to have .BAK (rather than delete, so I'd have the option of updating at will if I should ever want to) and then changed the ownership of the folder to administrators, disabled inheritance (explicit permissions), and changed everything to read only so that new files cannot be created here.

So, to recap, to actually stop windows updates I had to do the above, set C:\Windows10Upgrade to read only, set everything to metered in the registry, and disable the following files:
windows/system32/qmgr.dll

windows/system32/wuaueng.dll
windows/system32/wuaueng.dll.mui
windows/system32/wuauclt.exe
and now, at least in theory, I should have control over my computer.

Don't get too carried away by this method as I suspect MS have already disabled it. My Win10 PC does not have a C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\ folder.

csw900

Return to Computer hardware / specs