Search:
Submit Search

Mac Mini 2009 vs. Mac Mini 2012

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.

Mac Mini 2009 vs. Mac Mini 2012

Postby pat17 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 am

As I recently changed my Hauptwerk dedicated Mac Mini, I just wanted to share with you the results in terms of performance.

Main hardware changes are concerning the processor (from Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz to a i7 Quad Core 2.3 Ghz which is according to Apple making it twice as powerful), RAM (from8 GB @ 1067 MHz to 16 GO @ 1600 MHz) and Hard Drive where the sluggish Hitachi 320 GB @ 5400 RPM has been replaced by a SSD of 256 GB.

As a result, Hauptwerk is completely different. I could re-load several instruments with higher resolution (Saint-Maximin from 16 to 20 bit, Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache from 20 to 24 bit), or make less "sacrifice" on other ones (Kampen and Caen fully loaded without affecting attacks or releases). As far as sound quality is concerned, gain is quite significant, especially for St. Maximin where reeds used to sound in a very unnatural way in 16 bit. At 20 bit, I feel as if listening to a good CD - excepted for the level of interpretation, for which Apple and Hauptwerk cannot do anything for me...

I'm sharing heare-after a small table summarising the changes. As I was curious to estimate the gain I could get with higher RAM and SSD use before installing the new machine, it might be of interest to other Hauptwerkians to see how it looks like in reality.

I detailed for each instrument the RAM used (as per Hauptwerk - mentioning the remaining space - and per IStats - mentioning the used space). Second column is for the loading speed - monitored with a chrono - each time checked on a fresh session. Settings are then detailed in "Resolution"; "Load all A-L-R" means all attacks, loops and release are loaded.

As a result, when loading the Mietke Harpsichord - only important instrument I could and I can load in the same way on the two machines - loading time has been divided by 4. Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache had been divided by 3 despite a load on RAM twice as big as before.

The only issue I have met so far concerns the Kampen, where I have a strange noise appearing on the Rugwerk. I expect to find a solution soon - hopefully, as it is one of my favourite instruments...
pat17

Re: Mac Mini 2009 vs. Mac Mini 2012

Postby pat17 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 pm

The only issue I have met so far concerns the Kampen, where I have a strange noise appearing on the Rugwerk. I expect to find a solution soon - hopefully, as it is one of my favourite instruments...

Problem solved - it was just a temperament issue...
pat17

Postby kruimel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 am

Hello Pat17, as I also am interested in the new Mac-Mini, I have some doubt about the 256 Gig SSD.

At the mom I use 1 Tb HD, specially in order not to get limitations on installed organs.

Apart form some minor sets, I use following:
Caen Wet
Ebersmunster
Forcalquier
Ladegast
Paramount 310

And say 5 more smaller sets, like Anloo, Menesterol, etc.

Can all this be installed on a 256 Gig SSD??

I understand that it is NOT possible to add a second HD in the small machine??

Greetings,

Geert ( Netherlands)
kruimel

Postby cthart » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:51 am

Current Mac Mini models CAN have 2 discs installed! They generally come with a single disk but a second can be user installed, if somewhat difficult.

See http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-M ... /IF171-005 for a custom kit including tools and guides. But in theory it's also possible with a disk purchased from anywhere and your own tools.

Cheers,

Colin
cthart

Postby kruimel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Heard some rumors that it is a tricky job, but reading the solution you pointed out, I,m sure it can be done. THanks....

Geert
kruimel

Postby steve till » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm

cthart wrote:Current Mac Mini models CAN have 2 discs installed!

Or you can order the "Fusion Drive" option for an extra US $250.
This has 1 Tb disk storage plus 128 Gb high speed flash storage.
Seems like the easiest way you go, if not the cheapest.
steve till

Postby cthart » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:30 pm

The downside of the Fusion drive is that it increases your chance of failure; either of the HDD or SSD break and your drive is broken. Make sure you take backups! Luckily Mac OS comes with Time Machine built in.

Cheers,

Colin
cthart

Postby Marco » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm

the fusion drive would be way way slower than a full SSD since it basically is just a small 'SSD cache' applied to a large rotational hard drive, if you plan to install 1TB of organs on it it would be the same as running with a non-SSD disk.

Do you really need more than 256GB for organ installations? If you want to expand further you can also always add a thunderbolt external SSD which would be nearly as fast I would think.
Marco

Postby kruimel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for all the ideas! Perhaps instead of mounting dual drives, I will opt for a future external storage solution; the 250Gig SSD seems enough for now.

Greetings,

Geert
kruimel

Postby pat17 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 am

kruimel wrote:Hello Pat17, as I also am interested in the new Mac-Mini, I have some doubt about the 256 Gig SSD.

At the mom I use 1 Tb HD, specially in order not to get limitations on installed organs.

Apart form some minor sets, I use following:
Caen Wet
Ebersmunster
Forcalquier
Ladegast
Paramount 310

And say 5 more smaller sets, like Anloo, Menesterol, etc.

Can all this be installed on a 256 Gig SSD??

I understand that it is NOT possible to add a second HD in the small machine??

Greetings,

Geert ( Netherlands)

Hi Geert,

There shouldn't be any problem to install all your sets on a 256 GB SSD. I own two large sets similar to yours (Caen and now Ebersmünster), and as you could see in the table Kampen, Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache and Saint-Maximin as well.

I have recently set the largest ones (Kampen, Caen and Saint-Maximin) at a higher definition resolution, as anticipation to forthcoming Haupwerk 4.1 better RAM management feature for Macs and still I do not face any space issue. Although some of the sample sets now reach 10 GB and a little more even, and then take more space on the SSD, I still have room available (sorry I cannot be more precise, I'm currently out of the country).

Indeed, I make sure no unnecessary file remains on the SSD - I only have OS X, the cached sample sets and all the PDF music sheets used under MusicReader and Hauptwerk and MusicReader indeed. The original sample set files (RAR format) remain on an external HDD for instance. I've removed all the demo files I previously downloaded as well (Hereford, Salisbury...).

This being said, I'm not sure I would be able to install many more instruments if needed be... It also depends if you intend to go fore more sets in the future or not.

Hope it can help! :wink:
pat17

Return to Computer hardware / specs