It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

Text size and screen resolution

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Carlos Cappellaro

Text size and screen resolution

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 11:25 am

Hello,

I am facing a problem which may not be serious, but I cannot find my way round it. I have a new laptop (Sony Vaio Flip PC, 15.6"). The display has a resolution of 2880 x 1620. Obviously, many windows and boxes are shown in a very small size. In Hauptwerk, notwithstanding the resolution I choose (1920 x 1080, 1600 x 900, or other ones) only the size of the letters in Menu change (such as File, Edit, View, etc.). The rest of the windows (the brown ones with a "woody" aspect) and others such as "Load organ adjusting rank audio..." keep the same size. This last one, for instance, is almost impossible to read, except with a magnifier!
I have tried all the options I find in Control Panel/Display regarding changes of size of all items or text only, but nothing seems to work.

I have the same problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 12, but not with Sound Forge or Sonar. May it be due to something related to the design of the visual aspect of the software or is it just a Windows issue?

I will warmly welcome all comments you may have on this!

Carlos

bomb20

Re: Text size and screen resolution

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 3:09 pm

I find this mysterious. I have a feeling that applications have to be aware of Windows DPI scaling to do what you want as you alter the Windows scaling (keeping the native resolution). But how an application can produce a window with elements scaled in the same way to your physical screen size as you change the screen resolution I don't understand.

Perhaps you can plug in an external montor and use that for the problem windows.

mdyde

Re: Text size and screen resolution

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 5:27 am

Hello Carlos,

[Topic moved here.]

Hauptwerk doesn't yet have support for magnified screen-scaling for ultra high pixel density displays ('Retina' displays and similar), but if it's too small to read comfortably at the screen's native (=highest) resolution then you should just be able to lower the Windows screen resolution to cause all applications to be shown larger, including Hauptwerk.

I just checked on Windows 8.1 by right-clicking on the desktop, select 'Screen resolution' from the menu and setting to a lower-than-native resolution (e.g. half of the native resolution), then OKing it. Hauptwerk (and all other applications) were then shown accordingly larger, as expected.

Is that not working for you? Which version of Windows are you using, if so, and what method are you using to change the Windows screen resolution?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs