It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:36 am

Strickly rumors re Apple iPad pro in 2015

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Strickly rumors re Apple iPad pro in 2015

PostTue Nov 04, 2014 6:25 pm

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipad/bigger-screen-ipad-pro-release-date-rumours-leaked-images-photo-3492180/

Apple's announcement that the new iPad Pro will be available next year? The iPad Pro will have a 12.2" screen and with be as thin as the new i6 iPhone. It's perfect for pianists, organists, & conductors who find the iPad too small. It will have a Bluetooth page turner.feature.

It is "said" that Apple may abandon iPad mini and concentrate on the iPad pro also known as the iPad 6.At least we can dream about Hauptwerk applications, maybe?

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

Re: Strickly rumors re Apple iPad pro in 2015

PostTue Nov 04, 2014 6:57 pm

I think Apple is now in violation of Gentry's Law which says, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

G3

PostTue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 pm

I, for one, will like to see this new iPad for "hauling" music around with me. Last spring, I had two students perform Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue on twin grands for recital. One played the original piano part and the other played the orchestral part. They used 9" iPads with foot pedals for page turns. The audience was fascinated both with the iPads and the performance. But...I thought for dense compositions, it was a bit small, so this new iPad Pro really fascinates me. I have a mini, but only use it for reading. Now, my question is, how do we turn pages on this device on an organ? I've tested a device attached to an iPhone, you lay the iPhone upside down on a cheek block and wave your hand over the camera lens and it turns the page. It worked 50% of the time...totally unacceptable. Then there is a device that detects your eye blinking to turn the page. So...am I not supposed to blink until a page turn?...again, totally unacceptable. What would work with an organ? Pistons attached to some Bluetooth device? I can't imagine a requirement to have my hands in the exact same spot all the time in order to turn a page. The only thing I can think of is a foot switch on a swell pedal, like the piano sustain switches on theatre pipe organs. How do you connect that to Bluetooth?

Any ideas?

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

engrssc

PostTue Nov 04, 2014 9:13 pm

From time to time, I've had Blue tooth issues esp with the B/T handsfree cell phone connection in our Prius. And a b/t headset losing pairing.

Would like to dream about a complete Hauptwerk setup in a tablet, the tablet having at least 64 gb of RAM. The touch screen would be useful for organ control. Now how do we reduce the size and weight of a 3M console to compliment the iPad?

Regarding memory, if there was a real demand for large capacity RAM in a small package, I would imagine it could/would be done. OTOH, and a different type of memory, I have a couple 64 gb memory sticks that are really convenient for file backup which no doubt is a primary use for them. But super tiny, wow.

And then thinking back to my Apple IIe where you had to load the OS every time from floppy disks and the (monitor) screen only had green letters. And somewhere back then Hauptwerk V 1 from Crumhorn Labs was "born". Almost, (not quite) scary to think what's going to happen still in my and your lifetime.

Rgds,
Ed

jbittner

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm

engrssc wrote:Would like to dream about a complete Hauptwerk setup in a tablet, the tablet having at least 64 gb of RAM. The touch screen would be useful for organ control. Now how do we reduce the size and weight of a 3M console to compliment the iPad?

Regarding memory, if there was a real demand for large capacity RAM in a small package, I would imagine it could/would be done. OTOH, and a different type of memory, I have a couple 64 gb memory sticks that are really convenient for file backup which no doubt is a primary use for them. But super tiny, wow.

You can get a Surface Pro 3 with 12" screen, I7 processor, 8GB RAM, and up to 512 GB SSD, USB3, and micro SD Card slot running Windows 8.1 that should easily run Hauptwerk. So it's possible to run Hauptwerk on a tablet, just not on an IOS or Android tablet, and with far less RAM than 64 GB.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

steve till

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am

G3 wrote:... Now, my question is, how do we turn pages on this device on an organ?... What would work with an organ? ... Any ideas?

I have seen this talked about before but I don't know if anyone has actually done it yet.
Midi out of the console connected to midi in on the the iPad, so that the iPad compares
the midi information to the notes on the page, so it would know when you are nearing
the last measure of the page and could then turn the page for you.

Of course it would have to be able to ignore all of the mistakes...

phjo

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 9:52 am

I've written about this application before : autoflip (for ipad) do turn pages automatically, once trained.

It seems development has long stopped which is a bit sad, but it sill works fine for most purposes and is not very expensive.

phjo

Return to Computer hardware / specs