It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:46 am

Clearing space on an SSD

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

b.natural

Clearing space on an SSD

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm trying to install a new sample set to Hauptwerk (which I keep on an SSD), and it warns me that I only have 18 GB left then fails to load the sample set. How do I free up more GBs for this installation?

IainStinson

Re: Clearing space on an SSD

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 4:02 am

My SSD is used by Windows for the OS and programs and by HW for the cache files. I keep the samples and definitions on a hard disk drive (which Windows sees as d:). Only the cache files have any effect on the speed of loading a particular instrument once the cache has been created (by the "first time" load or after you have made some change which needs the cache to be recreated). HW has facilities to set up and reconfigure the disks used (the reconfiguration preserves the content) The 4.1.1 manual describes what to do on page 25 in the section "changing installation locations".

I had also loaded some organs into other configurations which I no longer wanted, and so I navigated to the cache folder for the particular configuration and deleted the cache files. I suspect this is not a "supported" activity - you just need to confident that you are deleting the cache file you intended to delete.

Iain

b.natural

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 6:44 am

Iain: I have the same configuration as you. Which directory do I go into to delete a few cached files?

mdyde

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 pm

The only officially-supported way to clear an organ's sample set cache is to un-install the organ via 'File | Un-install'.

If you want to try deleting caches manually (at your own risk), then the sample set cache files live in:

C:\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles\ConfigN-OrganCaches

(where N is the configuration number from 0 to 3, with 3 being the 'Hauptwerk (alt config 3)' desktop short-cut, for example).

The OrganID (as included in the cache filename) for an organ can be found by looking in Hauptwerk's log after loading the organ.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs