It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:59 pm

Considering an upgrade...

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Rauschpfeife

Re: Considering an upgrade...

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 am

Kevin, Richard,

Thanks for your responses. Simple confusion on my part regarding the CPU - I thought they were both S1150 but that's fine - I'll simply choose the 4790K by default and stick with the motherboard I found. I don't think, on the basis of the CPU charts people have linked to in this thread that there's much between them.

I'm aware the i7's have GPUs, though I do wonder if there is an advantage in hiving off the problem of graphics to a dedicated chip and letting the CPU get on with the business of generating polyphony? I have old graphics cards coming out of my ears, for one reason or another, so it seems a shame not to use them if they're there.

Thanks for the heads-up on Windows 8 - I wasn't aware of the limitations involved, so I'll look into that.

Regarding water cooling, this isn't going to be a gaming PC, so I'm going to work on the basis that ordinary air cooling will be sufficient for Hauptwerk. That said, I could swap the fan out for a water cooler at a later date.

Thanks again for your input. Any comments regarding sufficiency for the Zwolle set will still be appreciated.

Adam.

RichardW

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am

Adam, just to clarify, it is not Windows 8, per se, that has the restrictions but all Windows OEM versions.

I have used Vista OEM, W7 OEM and W8 OEM so far. I decide that for the reduction in cost I could live with the restrictions but I realise that not everyone is the same. Many would want the MS support, for instance.
Richard

TheOrganDoc

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 4:22 pm

I have been using a Win XP Pro 64Bit for Hauptwerk for many years, with two Presonus FP10 sound Boards,
I have been told that my computer will not run Hauptwerk 4.1.1 and is aging, but sounds good. :roll:
I am interested in a future upgrade, possibly a high end Mac Mini. Can someone help me decide what system will provide me with the best sound as well as longevity, which are important to me ! :lol:
Mel,,,TheOrganDoc ?
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

mdyde

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 4:43 am

Hello Mel,

TheOrganDoc wrote:I have been told that my computer will not run Hauptwerk 4.1.1

If the issue is only that it's running 64-bit XP then it probably would actually run v4.1.1. We no longer test with XP or support it officially, but we'd expect it still to work and if you were to use it then we'd still provide support for problems provided that they weren't due (and/or didn't appear to be due) to the operating system.

TheOrganDoc wrote:I am interested in a future upgrade, possibly a high end Mac Mini. Can someone help me decide what system will provide me with the best sound as well as longevity, which are important to me!

The 'Prequisites' and 'Technical info' links (PDF documents) near the top-right of the 'requirements' Web page have lots of information on computer hardware, which might be a starting point:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/requirements/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

johng

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Due to a virus, I've had to reinstall Win XP and need Service Pack 2. Many web sites claim to have it, but some seem to have only part of it, and on others a 'page error' occurs just for Service Pack 2.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to look?

deebos

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 7:43 pm

try softwarepatch.com

johng

Re: softwarepatch

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Worked great. Thanks.
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs