It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 pm

New Computer Build Suggestions from my list

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

CallDon

New Computer Build Suggestions from my list

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello everyone, I have been using the trial version with the free organ and the free Paramount theatre organ. My goal is a theatre organ more than the classical organs.
Probably one of these:
MasterWorks 3/31 Wurlitzer
Paramount 332 Wurlitzer

COMPUTER: I'm going for a smaller form factor to make it easier to carry, since the console is in a different location from my computer. I'm going with a 256gb SSD, i5 processor and 16 gb ram, Win8.1. Here is my future computer build so far:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Calldon/saved/w7RMnQ

Q> I have read here about using one drive for programs and one drive for the samples? Help me understand, should I have another SSD for the organ samples? Or what? And how large should the drive be?

Q> I already have two touch-screen monitors with regular vga video. To use two with the advanced edition, can I get an adapter to use them with USB?

I have been discussing this with the Facebook group and they think the computer would work. So any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

I can't wait to get this up and running with the real version instead of the trial version!! Thanks so much,

Don
DonVideos.com
Some MidiTzer, Hauptwerk and Other Organ Videos
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

organtechnology

Re: New Computer Build Suggestions from my list

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Don,

Q1
The SSD should be for the OS, HW and the organ cache. The second drive can be a regular HD where you put the RAR files. You tell HW where to put what file during the installation process. 1TB are cheap today.

Q2
The touchscreen monitor is actually two devices in one case. The video is VGA, DVI or in some rare cases of high end Apple, Thunderbolt connected. The touch screen part is connected to USB or in some older TS the comm port. Think of the touch screen grid as a touch surface overlay (mouse).

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

CallDon

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the help. My current monitors use USB for the touch screen and regular VGA for the video.

Now, what are RAR files? I thought they were compressed files, like zip files.

If I add video and/or audio recording programs, should they go to the SSD or the regular HDD?
(I suppose I could splurge for another SSD drive)

Thanks,
Don
DonVideos.com
Some MidiTzer, Hauptwerk and Other Organ Videos
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

amun

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:17 am

My goal is a theatre organ more than the classical organs.
Probably one of these:
MasterWorks 3/31 Wurlitzer
Paramount 332 Wurlitzer

Don,
I have them both, preferring the Paramount, which is certainly a matter of taste.
I would like to recommend to evaluate and, if possible to test them both, focussing especially on the method how they generate the tremolo and which one You like best. Another field of evaluation would be the suitable speaker set-up.
Rgds,
amun :wink:

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 am

Hello Don,

CallDon wrote:Now, what are RAR files? I thought they were compressed files, like zip files.

I think Thomas is referring to the 'sample sets and components' Hauptwerk installation folder. Have a look at the 'Installation: background information: Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide for details about that (pages 18-19 in the current v4.1.1 version).

People often put those onto a traditional hard-drive (since they're large and not performance-critical) and put everything else (including the operating system) onto an SSD.

We've recently updated this document (which is linked to via the 'requirements' page on our website), which also covers computer hardware in depth:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf

Since theatre organ sample sets are usually dry (and so don't take up much space), you might even find that a 256 SSD was sufficient for everything (unless you plan to use the computer for other things, or to install more sample sets later, which is always a temptation).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs