It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm

Computer without a case??

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Computer without a case??

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 9:11 pm

I've been approached by what I would call, for now, a wannabe computer/musician geek. He wants to take all the computer boards, (motherboard and all) out of it's case and mount them in a fairly limited space. There would be fan cooling and reasonable mounting of the components. I've not done this, but his reasoning is that, in affect, this is what other digital organ manufacturers are doing. Obviously, there is no space for a cased computer. He thumbed down a Mac Mini, doesn't like Macs and the limit of 16 GB RAM. :(

So what is the answer?

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

Re: Computer without a case??

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 9:38 pm

The boards probably do not meet Part 15 of the FCC rules without the case. Maybe no big thing for a DIYer but an FCC license holder doing it for someone else is supposed to know better. The FCC is becoming more sensitive to RFI issues from unintentional radiators such a grow lamp ballasts, a well pump controller and even arcing door bell transformers.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Maybe he could build a grounded screen "room" to house the console? :roll:

I didn't offer any opinions for this plus for some other reasons. Likewise many users don't realize that wireless mics in the 700 mHz Band are prohibited as well. Yet I still see them for sale.in places such as eBay. Buyer beware maybe? Too many w/l devices around but we need all of them, right?

Rgds,
Ed

Marco

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 pm

in the overclocking world it's not that uncommon to have computers without a case; I've seen builds that are basically a 'picture' meaning the motherboard is flat then on its side there are disks and video cards with pcie extenders and so on and the whole thing is hung on the wall.

There are also plenty of plexiglass cases available (which of course are not a faraday cage) and some people even mill them out of wood!

These days computers are a lot 'quieter' from an interference perspective than they used to be, I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as it does not create interference with their amplifiers and so on (something they'd have to test themselves I guess)

IainStinson

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 4:58 am

It is worth remembering that (good) computer manufacturers spend a considerable amount of resource in designing cases which ensure that the components of the system are properly cooled and protected. As mentioned previously, the case also (should) ensure that the device meets the relevant emission and safety regulations. Keep the case!

Iain

engrssc

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 am

Very interesting feedback(s).

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichardW

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Ed,

You can get a variety of open chassis for PCs. They are intended for people who want to make constant changes to their equipment. Here are some examples: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pc+op ... CAYQ_AUoAQ

Some ideas: https://richchomiczewski.wordpress.com/
http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/ind ... &Itemid=61

Richard

1961TC4ME

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 1:14 am

engrssc wrote: but his reasoning is that, in affect, this is what other digital organ manufacturers are doing. Obviously, there is no space for a cased computer.
So what is the answer?

Rgds,
Ed

I would tell him: If it makes you feel any better we're talking about hiding a cased computer inside a console that should have enough room to hide your average Toyota, you're not going to see anyways, so why worry about it?

Really? :shock:

Marc

engrssc

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 4:54 am

The instrument he wants to build is a very small 2 manual portable with almost no extra space. It is similar to what many folks use (after removing from it's case) known as a (plastic) "stage" keyboard. Presently he is using a computer mounted in a separate "case" that sits on the floor next to his keyboard setup. This 2M keyboard mounts to a portable, collapsible X frame type stand. From the pictures he sent, it looks as if there might be just enough room to mount a small computer's components inside and eliminate this extra."computer box" and the wiring mess. I still think he should at least consider a Mac Mini, but that's his call.

Rgds,
Ed

schantzplayer

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 am

I would, at the very least, lay down a layer of tin foil where you propose to mount the motherboard. The tin foil should be grounded to the power supply. This will at least shield the bottom of the board where signals in the GHz range exit.

engrssc

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 11:32 am

schantzplayer wrote:I would, at the very least, lay down a layer of tin foil where you propose to mount the motherboard. The tin foil should be grounded to the power supply. This will at least shield the bottom of the board where signals in the GHz range exit.

I have done similar things in the past except also added a thin piece of plastic over the top of the tin foil to prevent accidental shorting to the electronics.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Since real 'Tin foil' is hard to come by and AL foil has high resistance surface oxidation, galvanized sheet metal of a very thin guage would be a good substitute. Then a perforated metal box around the whole thing.
But a case would be cheaper :)

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Computer hardware / specs