It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

Touch-screen monitors - what do I need to know?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Touch-screen monitors - what do I need to know?

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm about to take my first steps into the world of touch-screen monitors, and have realised how much I don't know.

What type of connector is required? HDMI? DVI? VGA?

How does the screen communicate positional information to its computer? Does it use spare contacts on the connector? Does it need a usb connection in addition to the video one?

If a sample set can provide more than one screen e.g. for right and left stop jambs, how do I ascertain whether a graphics card can support this?

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Thanks in anticipation!

telemanr

Re: Touch-screen monitors - what do I need to know?

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 pm

In general.
The touch aspect requires a USB connection. Each touch screen will have three cables with connectors: power, video in, and USB.
The video card must have two inputs. Most would. Take a look at your video card's connectors to see what type they require.
Rob Enns

sonar11

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 5:02 pm

One thing to look out for; the touch screen "type" might be important to you depending on how much that bothers you. I bought one (acer) that is optical based, which means it's moving the cursor before your finger hits the screen physically; for me, that's worse than it sounds, especially when during the spring / summer / fall the house flys come out and walk across the screen. Nothing more frustrating than a fly changing the stops on you :P

I don't know all the in's and out's on the hardware, perhaps others can chime in too; but my next touch screen will be capacitive, which means you need to physically touch the glass (like how most common smartphones; blackberry, apple, samsung android's etc). Capacitive are usually more expensive though.

telemanr

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 6:33 pm

I use two HP Compaq L2206tm screens.
They are capacitance so you have to touch them.
The stand they come with is sturdy enough without any extra bracing.and allows the screen to be turned for portrait or landscape and it allows a forward or backward tilt and vertical height adjustment.
What more does one need?
Rob Enns

organsRgreat

PostSun Mar 08, 2015 6:07 am

Thanks gentlemen – that's all most helpful. As I live in England, it's not often hot enough to have windows open and flies investigating the organ console! However, I'd want a definite response to physically touching the screen, so I shall avoid optical types.

With these queries answered I can now move on to researching suitable screens online – it will be so nice not to have to control everything by mouse clicks :D

schantzplayer

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 12:51 pm

If you don't have 2 video outputs, you could always consider a second video card.\

engrssc

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm

telemanr wrote:The video card must have two inputs. Most would. Take a look at your video card's connectors to see what type they require.

Think you meant to say two outputs, Rob, yes?

Most touch screens need special drivers for the touch screen part. The driver includes a means to calibrate the touch. You should check whether the driver is compatible with the operating system you plan to use as well. There is available drivers, other than the one(s) offered by the OEM touch screen manufacturer. (For instance Touch-Screen.com, is a company that specializes only in drivers for touch screens and other related applications.)

You can also do a search here to see reports from some Forum members who have had problems and have found remedies.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs