It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 pm

Mac Mini Upgrade

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

KeithP

Mac Mini Upgrade

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 7:20 am

Hello all,
I have converted a Rodgers 820 to HW andI am about to upgrade the Mac Mini to have an SSD.
My question is, should I leave the existing HD in place or remove it? My plan is to put everything including the OS on the SSD to achieve the fastest possible startup.
It seems silly to leave it in place, when it is not being used.
All Backups will be saved to an external drive.
If I remove it what position should I install the SSD into, Upper or Lower?

Keith P.

engrssc

Re: Mac Mini Upgrade

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am

KeithP wrote:If I remove it what position should I install the SSD into, Upper or Lower?

That will depend on which SSD conversion kit you use. The kits are available for either. In regards to leaving or not leaving in place the existing, HD, I left mine in place and use it as a built-in back-up. Very convenient to apply quickly if needed. I also have an external WD hard drive even tho I haven't needed to use either - yet (just in case) These Mac Mini's are road hardened and tough little machines. If only they had more RAM, they would be my first choice.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 10:36 am

Be careful if you do the upgrade. The online videos make the job seem easier than it really is. The WiFi RF connector is prone to loosening up and not reconnecting securely. I've worked with electronics all my life and this was a case where I felt very fortunate when everything went back together and worked reliably. Get a Mac toolkit if you're in doubt about having all the right tools.

Have you considered an external thunderbolt adapter?

engrssc

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 am

Also Keith, Is the intended upgrade for a new (2014) M/M or the older late 2012 version? The newest version does not permit user upgrade of the RAM I'm told. I've only upgraded the late (Oct 2012) versions and as John mentions, it is a job that does require some skill with small, fine parts as well as patience. The videos you can download generally show the process as a walk in the park. Well, not exactly like that altho with care, it can be done. Doing this conversion, of course, voids any warranty from Apple.

Rgds,
Ed

KeithP

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Thank you all for your comments.
Just a brief outline of my background, to set your minds at rest.
I was trained in electronics by the Federal Government Dept. for Civil Aviation (equiv. of FAA), back in the 1900’s, so to ‘operate’ on a Mc mini is not a drama for me.

I bought the SSD plus the Installation Kit from OWC, who I must say run a very well organized business, so I have the tools required for the job.
My only quandary was if I should leave the current HD in place, whirring around for no reason?
I am not sure if the HD will continue to ‘spin’, even though it is not being accessed. If it is, it seems a pity to wear it out for nothing. However, if removing the HD causes any problems then I will leave it in place.

The Mac minis I will be working on are Models 5,1 and 6,1, both of which have their HD in the ‘Lower Bay’.

I have already done RAM upgrade from 2 GB to 16 GB on the 5,1 model, which is so simple you could do it in your sleep! However, I agree the addition of a HD or SSD is certainly much more involved.
I have also purchased a RAM upgrade to 16 GB for the 6,1 model, which according to OWC is possible.

I had a look at the OWC site, regarding external Thunderbolt SSD use, and it turns out to be about twice as expensive as installing the SSD internally, and I am not sure it would be as fast at data transfer as if I install it internally?
While doing the internal installation of the SSD I will bring out the ‘Start’ function of the Mac mini to connect with a small pcb I have made that will control the Start ad Stop of the organ. It works by detecting the 5v via the USB port and starting the amp/s, with or without time delay, and sends the Shutdown via the MIDI. When the USB 5v ‘disappears’ this board then resets, ready for the startup.

Yes, it is a pity that the Mac mini cannot, so far, be upgraded to 32 GB.

Keith P.

engrssc

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

KeithP wrote:Yes, it is a pity that the Mac mini cannot, so far, be upgraded to 32 GB..

And the "fault" is not Mac, but no one makes 16 GB RAM modules. :cry:

BTW, we may extend an over abundance of caution when giving advice due to the fact of varying levels of competence of those asking the questions which I'm sure you understand.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs