It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

i7-5820K + MSI X99 SLI PLUS MOBO

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organtechnology

i7-5820K + MSI X99 SLI PLUS MOBO

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Intel is upgrading the i7-generation and this mobo and CPU look compatible for Hauptwerk. Anyone tried this combination yet?

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Eric Sagmuller

Re: i7-5820K + MSI X99 SLI PLUS MOBO

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Thomas,

Did you ever get any more information on this combo, or decide and use a different MoBo? This is the processor I plan to use in my new computer build, but there are so many MoBo choices.

Thanks,
Eric

Bri

PostFri May 08, 2015 8:45 am

I realise that the mother board is Asus as opposed to MSI - but -
my new computer has the i7 six core 5820K (3.3GHz) (which is I believe is your main concern.)
My mother board is an ASUS X99 Deluxe, ATX, HSW-E USB 3.0 SATA 6 GB/s with 32 G RAM DDR4 2133MHz (4x8GB) (expandable to 64 G - when I can afford it!)
I only use headphones so cannot comment on what results one would get with speakers.
The amazing thing - to me - is that I am using the onboard sound module with AKG K240 Studio headphones. I have never heard such a glorious sound.
Ever since ordering the new computer I have been scouring the internet and this forum to work out what sound card/interface I need. I am not going to bother. I'm in seventh heaven already!!!
The sample set I am using is the Pipeloops Oberlinger Bonn-Beuel 3/P 61 stops.
The clarity of sound is remarkable - full organ could bring the house down - but not a sign of audio stress.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri May 08, 2015 9:30 am

Hi Bri,

Thanks for the info. I'm using an ASUS MoBo in my current computer, built it in 2008. It has always worked fine, so I'm sure the one you have is good too. I plan to install 64 GB, so may wait a little longer yet to see if the DDR4 prices fall a bit more.

Eric

Marco

PostFri May 08, 2015 12:57 pm

it's interesting that with DDR4 now you can go up to 128GB with the new modules that just came out (not cheap of course), could be useful for folks wanting to play extremely large organs in surround!

Personally I am still quite happy with 16gb, I recently started using HW on my quad-core windows PC and given how much faster than my imac it is already (I get about 12k polyphony which is way more than enough for the sample set I use) I definitely don't have any need to get anything faster.

On an unrelated note I wonder what the windows thing is that about half an hour after the computer is on always causes one single audio stutter/glitch, it's as if there was some system task that runs at that time or something, not even sure how I can debug that honestly but besides that it's been as rock solid as it was on the mac (using an external cheap usb steinberg ur17 audio interface)

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri May 08, 2015 1:08 pm

The glitch. Yes I've had that problem too. As you say it only does it once after turn on, for me it seems it's maybe an hour but may be less. I'm using Vista yet, no windows 7 back then, and assumed it was only a Vista thing.

As far as speed, my old computer is quad core and fast enough. Problem is I built it just when DDR3 came out, and it was much more expensive, so went with 8 gig DDR2. The board can take 16, but it's so expensive now it's not worth trying to upgrade. I don't want to make the same mistake this time, so plan to use the DDR4 out of the gate, so am waiting a bit to let it mature.

Eric

mdyde

PostFri May 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Marco wrote:On an unrelated note I wonder what the windows thing is that about half an hour after the computer is on always causes one single audio stutter/glitch, it's as if there was some system task that runs at that time or something, not even sure how I can debug that honestly but besides that it's been as rock solid as it was on the mac (using an external cheap usb steinberg ur17 audio interface)

Eric Sagmuller wrote:The glitch. Yes I've had that problem too. As you say it only does it once after turn on, for me it seems it's maybe an hour but may be less. I'm using Vista yet, no windows 7 back then, and assumed it was only a Vista thing.

I'd suggest first making sure that all firmware is fully up-to-date (including the motherboard's BIOS). Likewise that all available Windows updates are applied, and that all drivers are fully up-to-date (including the driver for the Hauptwerk USB key, which can be found on our main downloads page: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ).

If that doesn't solve it, try checking for DPC latency spikes when the glitch occurs: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ChangedForever

PostFri May 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Marco / Eric.... next time the glitch happens immediately go into Windows event viewer.... look at the time stamps for when the glitch happened.... maybe you can get a clue as to the software module causing the problem?....

Thanks,
Mark

Marco

PostFri May 08, 2015 4:54 pm

I will try it out, this is on windows 8 btw, I guess I will have to run to the PC once I hear it, I figured it was some sort of windows indexing or other cleanup task that runs post startup as it seems to ever happen only once, but then again due to work and other requirements I don't ever play for an hour in a row so it might happen every 30 minutes too and I just don't know about it.

DDR4 is still priced at a fairly high premium compared to DDR3, IMHO CPU performance these days is so good that it's really about how much RAM you need, and it makes more sense to go DDR4 only if you need 128GB, if not 64GB on DDR3 would be quite a bit cheaper than 64GB on DDR4

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon May 11, 2015 11:18 am

I've found at least at Newegg, that even though the DDR4 costs more, an equivalent 6 core processor to the above using DDR3, costs about $200 more. So the overall costs are about the same. The DDR4 though still has a higher CAS latency, but I'm not sure that really matters for HW.

Eric

Marco

PostFri May 15, 2015 10:32 am

the 128GB kits are coming on the market

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance- ... m8a2400c14

$1755 for it, which I guess is more or less expected (the dominators are even more expensive but IMHO not worth it as the big heatsinks make it harder to mount CPU coolers and the faster RAM frequency should not make that much of a difference)

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

Interesting. I expect one would need a Mo Bo to handle that. All I've checked so far only mention 64 gig, which I think would do me for a long time.

Eric

Return to Computer hardware / specs